• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Pressure settings: 6mil, 3mil laminated

BlueRidgeSignSupply

Print Manager
Hello,

I'm working on setting up my Summa Plotter to work as a Flex Cut (AKA Perf cut).

However I came into this job knowing nothing so I'm trying to figure out if my settings are correct - or if I've just happened to make it work my own way.

I currently use roughly 165G on 3mil Calendared Vinyl, with a 3mil laminate on top of it.

I use 265G for 6mil calendared bumper sticker stock.

Does anyone have any numbers they can compare those to? I know that standard sign vinyl is in the realm of 70-85 for most posts I read and I fall pretty well into that ball park.

Thanks guys!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Every cutter will be different based on the machine manufacturing and the wear on the blade so no one will be able to give you exact numbers that will be of any use to you. That being said, on almost every brand of cutter I have used, 30g to 50g usually cuts 3mil vinyl unlaminated and 50g - 80g usually will cut laminated 3mil. Your setting seems to be high which would indicate that the blade is dull and/or not installed properly. I don't have a lot of experience with Summas though so it may be different but usually if my gram setting gets to 100g I start thinking about changing the blade or troubleshooting a malfunction.

BlueRidgeSignSupply

Print Manager
Gotcha. I figured there would be variance - less interested in getting my numbers exact and more trying to figure out if I'm even close to where I should be.

It sounds like I'm not even close to what my pressure should be.

I do have the blade installed incorrectly (it's pushed basically all the way out of it's housing), but I can't get the vinyl to cut unless I do that.

I appreciate any other numbers anyone wants to throw at me, but it sounds like I'm definitely missing something.

Thanks Vander!

TimToad

Gotcha. I figured there would be variance - less interested in getting my numbers exact and more trying to figure out if I'm even close to where I should be.

It sounds like I'm not even close to what my pressure should be.

I do have the blade installed incorrectly (it's pushed basically all the way out of it's housing), but I can't get the vinyl to cut unless I do that.

I appreciate any other numbers anyone wants to throw at me, but it sounds like I'm definitely missing something.

Thanks Vander!
I'm not familiar with Summa cutters, but most plotters have a blade offset adjustment capability built into the holder. It does take some trial and error to find just the right combination of which angle of blade to use, how far the blade protrudes from the holder and the corresponding pressure. I would think material that thick would require a 60 degree blade.