• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Preview .EPS files from windows explorer

kheebl

This has been driving me crazy for awhile now, but is there any way to preview .EPS files directly from windows explorer the way a .jpeg or .png display? I know I can use Adobe Bridge but that's just one more program I need to open. I have tried setting the default program to different applications with no luck.

attachment.php

Attachments

• eps preview.jpg
    eps preview.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 3,543

WildWestDesigns

I checked my windows vm and my Linux host. Windows vm doesn't seem to want to do it natively. The Linux host does do a preview in Nautilus (gnome's version of Windows Explorer) natively, go figure.

Just out of curiosity, how come it looks like you have eps and other file types linked to Winrar?

kheebl

I checked my windows vm and my Linux host. Windows vm doesn't seem to want to do it natively. The Linux host does do a preview in Nautilus (gnome's version of Windows Explorer) natively, go figure. Just out of curiosity, how come it looks like you have eps and other file types linked to Winrar?

Those winrar files are where the eps came from it was like a texture pack I got somewhere. I just kept the compressed file.

kheebl

Just downloaded the trial for mysticthumbs and its exactly what I was looking for. Definitely gonna spend the $30 and buy it! Thanks again for the suggestion!

DerbyCitySignGuy

This might sound like a dumb question, but do you have the preview pane on? You should just be able to preview EPS files without having to do anything special. I haven't done anything special and they work just fine. In case you're not familiar with the preview pane, I attached an image that has the preview pane button marked. You can see that I have an EPS selected and am previewing the file.

attachment.php

Attachments

• EPS Preview.jpg
    EPS Preview.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 2,884

DerbyCitySignGuy

Are you using Illustrator CC or a previous version? It definitely works on all of our computers with CC. I think there's a computer here that still has Illustrator 6 on it, now I'm curious as to whether it will display EPS files in the preview pane.

WildWestDesigns

Are you using Illustrator CC or a previous version? It definitely works on all of our computers with CC. I think there's a computer here that still has Illustrator 6 on it, now I'm curious as to whether it will display EPS files in the preview pane.

CS6 is where I stopped with Adobe.

DerbyCitySignGuy

CS6 is where I stopped with Adobe.

I just checked the CS6 computer here and the preview pane doesn't work, so it does look like it might be something they finally fixed with CC. Or maybe not, based on the previous post.

I have no idea then! All of the CC machines here work, Windows 7 Pro and Windows 10 both. The only one that doesn't work is the Pro machine with CS6. And computers that don't have any Adobe products on them.

niksagkram

OK, now I'm baffled. I did some more checking, and, on my computer, ai and pdf can be viewed in the preview pane, but also, SOME eps files can be viewed, but not all. No matter location (local or network) or size, Doesn't seem to be any reason why some will and some won't. I tried cdr also, and it said "no preview available". I does not say that when eps can't be viewed. Weird!

Mark

DerbyCitySignGuy

OK, now I'm baffled. I did some more checking, and, on my computer, ai and pdf can be viewed in the preview pane, but also, SOME eps files can be viewed, but not all. No matter location (local or network) or size, Doesn't seem to be any reason why some will and some won't. I tried cdr also, and it said "no preview available". I does not say that when eps can't be viewed. Weird!

Mark

I had to reinstall Illustrator a couple times to get everything to work on my computer. I had some weird font issues, then some were display errors, but the third time everything worked. Haha!

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Nothing related to Adobe previews for me... PDF, AI, PSD all show different icons. Always has been frustrating.

tbutler

Adobe Bridge

Not sure if it was mentioned here but we use adobe bridge here which is usually bundled with design (CS6). Just pick a folder and it renders all the previews.

EDIT :: LoL - Missed the top post, however, i have tried numerous other things over the years and never found anything reliable.

WildWestDesigns

Not sure if it was mentioned here but we use adobe bridge here which is usually bundled with design (CS6). Just pick a folder and it renders all the previews.

EDIT :: LoL - Missed the top post, however, i have tried numerous other things over the years and never found anything reliable.

Ironically, Nautilus (Gnome's version of Windows Explorer) natively renders EPS files. Now it won't do Ai, CDR (even with Inkscape installed) etc, but it does do EPS. But Windows Explorer won't display any of those even with those programs installed.

I don't know why Nautilus does EPS at all though. But it does have some nifty features that should be in Windows Explorer (and maybe they are in later versions), so who knows.