• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Price Beatdown

Wraps ink

I have a wrap shop and I swear either im really stupid or just out of touch with price...I have a competitor here who just charged $2,100 for a 15 passenger van wrap including the roof...soon we will all be out of business because of people like this. I dont know how he is making any money and no he isnt running out of his garage and no he doesnt do a high volume. s I'm clueless as to how people around here are coming up with these prices maybe he is that desperate...I will not lower my prices..oh well just had to vent a little.

Circleville Signs

What material is he using? Is he trying to sell people on calendared vinyl? That pricing is insane, but you also need to compare quality and design. Was the design provided to him? Etc.

rjssigns

Not to worry. They won't be around long once one or two of their wraps fail.

We will not drop our prices either. Like my wife says: "For what you want to pay I'll go fishing instead, there's the door".

ProWraps

we do standard cargo vans for $1995. no roof. its the way the business is. either get with it and evolve or get run over.

Billct2

It's nice that some people have the financial independence to be able to go fishing instead of working. But a lot of good shops will go under waiting for the customers to realize they're getting poor quality.

Circleville Signs

we do standard cargo vans for $1995. no roof. its the way the business is. either get with it and evolve or get run over.

See the bold section. I'd probably be in the $2300-2500 range WITHOUT a roof in my area. It is nowhere near as competitive here as it is in Cali. That being said, the roof takes almost as much time as both sides put together - can't do that for $2100 and stay in business....

HulkSmash

2100 isn't that far fetched to be honest. That's around 9 bucks a sf. Which is what is seeming to be the norm recently....

ProWraps

See the bold section. I'd probably be in the $2300-2500 range WITHOUT a roof in my area. It is nowhere near as competitive here as it is in Cali. That being said, the roof takes almost as much time as both sides put together - can't do that for $2100 and stay in business....

you have to remember too, that we see a ton of shops make this same very stupid mistake of under charging.

but on the backside of that mistake is them realizing they SCRWED up big time. they offer the customer zero support on any failures and they raise their price on the next job.

its a learning process for them. if they dont learn, well, then they dont stick around very long.

tsgstl

I am a couple miles away from "Craftsman Industries" they have to be one of the biggest if not the biggest supplier of wrapped and specialty vehicles in the state if not the country. I have lost bids for larger box truck wraps with design for cheaper than that so I would guess this would be close to their price. I can't compete with their pricing and I wont even try. They must get vinyl for half the price or more than I pay. There have been several "wrap only" companies in my area that tried competing and failed. I don't think wraps are as popular here in the midwest and most of the ones Craftsman does are large fleets for out of state. But they do one off's as well and have qualified designers and installers. The wrap only companies always were busy, but along with the guy selling 100 12"x18" coroplast signs for $100 down the street, they just couldn't make it.

4-6 hours design
1 day or close to it with 2 guys install
$800 in vinyl and ink

I just don't get it. Craftsmen and a lot of guys on here, even in this thread seem successful at it. Its hard for me to charge almost double that with less experience, but I'm not going to lose money to stay competitive.

Circleville Signs

Volume is the key.

Guys like ProWraps and Colorado, and AZProSigns are doing more wrap volume in a month than I do in 6, and more in a month than what most of the folks here do in a year. For me, I might buy two rolls of material at a time. These high volume shops are buying 50 at a time. That volume leads to price breaks on material.

What is ALSO leads to, and what most folks don't factor in, is SPEED. When all you do is wrap, and you do it 8-10 hours/day, 5-6 days a week, you get FAST. I can wrap a cargo van, by myself, in a day. Maybe a little less. I'm fast compared to most around here.

Guys like ProWraps? They can put a 2 man team on a project and do 2-4 of these in a day. That brings cost down dramatically, which brings price down as well.

The only reason I get as much full and partial wrap work as I do is that there aren't any companies doing that kind of wrap volume here in the Central Ohio area - because there isn't that much call for them here. In another 5 years, we will be as flooded as the coasts are now though....

HulkSmash

I can tell you i def. Don't buy 50 at a time. I think the most wrap vinyl i've ever gotten at a time... was like 9 at a time. Keep in mind my grimco delivers twice a day...and are 5 minutes away, so there's really no need to order a ton at a time.

but yes, the more you buy, the better your prices are.

ProWraps

materials pricing isnt really where you make the money. its so minimal from catalog down to rep pricing its not going to do much.

as mentioned above, its speed and turnover.

lexsigns

Regardless of how fast or price breaks on material-we should all be charging the same in our area for cast and calendared(not that I would use calendared on wrapping a vehicle) Have you tried calling and talking to these guys? Doesnt everyone want to make enough money? If their overhead is lower they should be making more profit- not save the client money- DUH!!! Maybe a chat will help but then again,..

We do need to stay competetive but no one should be giving away design, labor or materials...it was like this when vinyl first came out- either find a niche or educate the client (or both) in my experience these guys giving the work away dont stay in biz very long

Techman

auto repair shops use a standard rate of charges. Why not us?

I just had my car looked at by a few auto shops. They all quoted about the same price 700 for the same job. They went online and input the data. The price came out within a few bux of each.

Why do we insist on beating each other to death via death match pricing? I am waiting for the day when someone with the proper tools can centralize the system as auto repair shops do. Then we can all compete over service rather than how low we can beat each other to death.

Oh wait.. That means we will get certified.. but no one wants to do that.. It might restrict our freedom to match death match pricing..

Mike F

Regardless of how fast or price breaks on material-we should all be charging the same in our area for cast and calendared(not that I would use calendared on wrapping a vehicle) Have you tried calling and talking to these guys? Doesnt everyone want to make enough money? If their overhead is lower they should be making more profit- not save the client money- DUH!!! Maybe a chat will help but then again,.

Could be wrong but I think that's regarded as price fixing.