• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Price of more than just the sign...

Was this helpfull?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

visualeyez

So I used to bids signs by square footage, and customers would try to hold me to that. 6 years of doing this and I have finally realized I need to be getting paid for the rest of the job.

Say your car breaks down in front of your "new" to be owned business.
You need it fixed so you call an automotive shop.

Charges that incur could include:

(1)Towing vehicle to shop.
(2)Cost of diagnostics to find problem.
(3)Cost of new/used replacement parts.
(4)Removal of broken parts.
(5)Installation of new/used replacement parts.
(6)Test drive/ ECU diagnostics
And now final billing and phone call...

How it relates to pricing a sign:

(1)Driving to location of project.
(2)Measuring all surfaces of signage to be replaced.
(3)Cost to replace said sign surfaces with blank material.
(4)Consultation of new graphics, design, layout, art, revisions, etc.
(5)Cost to apply approved graphics to substrate.
(6)Install new signage on location.
(7)Store all graphics for X time.
(8)Cost of sign permit, if not replacement signage. *bump this up to #2 probably...

%50 Down to get past step 3....

And this is what I have to start charging clients.

Something like this... any suggestions?

SP_Creative

We do account for all of those factors and build that into our margins. We have found that few clients actually want itemized billing at that depth, and if you offer it to prove a point they tend to attempt to haggle with you over the line items.

While it makes sense to draw an analogy toward car repair, people often have a reference point for that with past experience. Most of the clients we've had that don't understand the value of crafting good design/signage also have little or no past experience with ordering that type of work. As a result the customer education cost can be taxing time wise. (thought often worth it) Still, they tend to think 'they can get it done cheaper at place "X"', even if often they come back upset with the quality of work for going with company "X".

Just my two cent. :smile: