• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Price of zinc washers too high?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I replaced an old 8'x4' real estate sign today with a new one and found some interesting washers being used! Don't think I could get away with the water bottle cap but paint the penny silver and you may have a winner there.

DP5O_H_PAlOY4mOwZreGObLgCGEiTzT8Svsjw8x5R2uNuEtXGqAHyXcvqVXQFtDvwUIREuWghS_c2ieB6Tyzb0lczUsojIg-8Mvurgljr4w_JZIw0r_z5_nXILB5bsexmJgcHOZZNwXZeEnSHhIsKXvzQtPswUGzK9GRbfUNhdyzKGS2z7EShNzWBNulMXz1-Bki3QiI4hpn7TaAGZ3Y47Mu1eluiCxYH0QsX1ItuT_fhrSJLAmLSJYHoCgXZ0dEt4DPh751XR6vZHOQ1XPiz6SbhrV4jWTebkigskAX8zDv_5mqgoNtk2tpCrhmp76Nm23oEGVeipAIWyw1ZTMvrzG0mD_HzBoQUAk8yzfxhgiDcapdzfhS08kFfZgUmhpaqw8gqIMAyGudjHlGOSa0QGHwvNgsZycrhDBWfm9ByviF_jvTFMEtiRsuUqZ30lOTgc_PxjNZlNdPrQBqvCqPiJ_j-F7Cr-Q7otyElXPKn6mS4jJUELKrKFMxGL4KzpU1e8XpBEqmX3_chyYCKrzLv3gEoI8psYrCCqsazVlIs79m-0xLcZECjb8LmyHQrN2BdKupYt9tMpk_1l4briGc2rGtg5h7haFmT2vd7JGadn2II-dFVHJWEJcXHG1_LVetL8zq35hfUKCJYQl6aO7MgpO8--3Q9lv1Ew=w464-h620-no

DobK5kQ7wbSKNIJX2oh3j_bePC8NV57-utK0xIsxeUOsrj5gZNNcjIiXoCs2UpwS6guxeZtrwzizc1UV6-WYwSAb6lgZS7fF5O1-UgxlyWcU_ybMSUhkhfqfeCe25BjvW4LK2Mi0-EdPb9SkwLbD7NEZxCdLGwku9_45Cc1HFJQ7wKBI5UpPzzwTYdmPTpANjlfahKgrrlIEG4G4nWwRLCw2qO9_vpcJUkqkWZ2kwbEbXfHbAVjtaNeDZpY64dKcmw-JgXCKJwnFw4aTZOcGkmjrh0lF_9snuMqgjCPKkTb_3BRVzV5JEEScjoC9J6HhG_z1MOW7vIR0KrOfrvqXW4aPx2E6xyvqmMpqpbEVrTieleRN_3oUNAVzyIGHaraetDTQWxp53Yemdi8mKrr2t7pZRoUmRveshcIvo3O5iDq8cDaTNzdH5kfI2S9_lfqT1yMOlQ1nROKvqtmL6dviKx0F6JqSVymbYd3Uis6TOonwOOaslLfvFr7U9V0oX0Z4YQzF9amnr59PzIiqV1IH6Nr58_nFo7xQzYKSWXXPvmNUeOlp66TERd2ZTcUvUDI4up8-XO-31GLwvhR9gxsQ1GNpqDwpK0N2hiVTWDTwAN8OISO4HXan8xfZ2mE77x8-EXfkFXVzUi9Z3ThZy9YAiaTbTL6r121-0w=w464-h620-no

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Shrug. The bottle cap is interesting. Probably the only thing laying around that would do.

People use pennies all the time. Especially handy for for shooting anchors into concrete. They are, alter all, a zinc alloy with a copper plating. If the cost of an actual washer is more than a cent, use a cent. Makes cents to me...rim shot...

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I just bought a few packs of washers for $0.09/ea today at home depot... I'm getting ripped off. Just looked on ebay and I can get them for $0.03 free shipping. Just goes to show everything you buy at home depot is way overpriced.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Ok, so I got on an ebay kick and dropped my cost of Tapcon screws from $0.20/ea to $0.04, Teks screws were 50% cheaper... the washers obviously 75% cheaper... all with free shipping.

ams

Washers expensive? It's sad that you calculate 3 cents as a big factor. Nobody has the time to research something two cents lower and have it shipped in and everything. Are your signs priced down to the exact penny like $16.22 or are you rounding up? If your normal sign is $40, charge $43 and move on.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Washers expensive? It's sad that you calculate 3 cents as a big factor. Nobody has the time to research something two cents lower and have it shipped in and everything. Are your signs priced down to the exact penny like $16.22 or are you rounding up? If your normal sign is $40, charge $43 and move on.

The "Washers Expensive" was a humorous title for someone using plastic bottle caps as washers..not that I was complaining about 9 cents...until I found some on online for 3. See AMS, when you start making more then one sign a year things start to add up. If your buying 20 boxes of washers a year at $10 a box and your able to get them for $3 I think it's worth the 5 mins it took to find them online, or about the same amount of time it took you to write your last post. That and it lead me down to road of reducing my costs of all the other fasteners I used regularly. I think I saved about $500 for a years worth of hardware...not bad for less then an hour spent finding the hardware and ordering it all. Not to mention the time I save not driving to the hardware store or running the risk of running out on a job site because now I bought packs of 1000 instead of 75 or 100 fasteners.

The cost of my fasteners and other hardware isn't a factor in how I price signs or installs. My time is a big factor but not the $5-$10 worth of fasteners when your talking about hundreds or thousands on a sign order. The hardware costs DOES come to mind when I have to keep buying them.

BTW, I'd rather have my stuff "shipped in and everything" instead of me taking time to drive out to a store and buy something.. but then again my time is worth something to me so... maybe someone will find this info helpful... looks like it didn't apply to you though.

Last edited:

equippaint

It's more than money. Its annoying going to Home Depot and having to buy a bunch of bags of 2 washers each. Then getting back and realizing that they are all mismatched sizes because some idiot put random stuff they didn't want back in the wrong place. Not to mention the time it takes the checkout girl to fiddle fart around with each bag to scan them while everyone behind me gives me the stink eye.

Johnny Best

You should talk. You go to warehouse auctions and buy wooden boxes and then try to figure out what they are. Don't tell me how much money you make on reselling junk, that is about as interesting like washer prices from Home Depot and Ebay.

ams

You should talk. You go to warehouse auctions and buy wooden boxes and then try to figure out what they are. Don't tell me how much money you make on reselling junk, that is about as interesting like washer prices from Home Depot and Ebay.

Well you see Johnny, you are so old and senile that you can't understand the difference between "business" and "personal" is anymore. Sad times you live in.

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
ams, you're turning into Adtechia. Fred knows, some members meds need to be regulated.

You really need to take a break. Longer than 24 hours though.

billsines

Even if the prices are exactly the same, the free shipping is huge. How much time and subsequently money is saved by having UPS bring it to your doorstep? I don't know about you guys, but the nearest Home Depot/Lowe's/Menards is 30 minutes away.

I actually use Amazon quite a bit for things I need here in the shop. Ebay, not so much.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Even if the prices are exactly the same, the free shipping is huge. How much time and subsequently money is saved by having UPS bring it to your doorstep? I don't know about you guys, but the nearest Home Depot/Lowe's/Menards is 30 minutes away.

I actually use Amazon quite a bit for things I need here in the shop. Ebay, not so much.

Wait till you try Walmart or Kroger online pickup... For me it took the dreaded Saturday morning grocery trip and made it a pleasant pickup and go and never get out of the car and deal with the other grocery shopping public enjoyable event.

billsines

Wait till you try Walmart or Kroger online pickup... For me it took the dreaded Saturday morning grocery trip and made it a pleasant pickup and go and never get out of the car and deal with the other grocery shopping public enjoyable event.

Actually did that with a recent Menards trip. Picked it all out online then headed to the store. They had it all sitting there ready for me when I picked it up. At first I thought it was a little goofy...I mean, online shopping then go get it??? Well when you need 10' lengths of PVC and other plumbing stuff, you're not gonna get it shipped, especially if you want to do the project that evening. But I'm a believer now. Have someone else go walk around a 10 acre store and get your stuff for you. I like it.