• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

price?

IGD

what should I charge for something like this? or can i charge? I thought that that hankerchief shes wearing wasnt orignal so technically it isnt an exact disney character..or does that matter?

Attachments

• 46175_110720989092973_1638883542_n.jpg
    46175_110720989092973_1638883542_n.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

IGD

lol no but really and i need to find it, this is the only picture i have of it.

Salmoneye

First you need to find out how much Disney and apple are going to charge you to license it. I'm guessing about 150k. Walk away young man, walk away. Also, are you going to dye sub to a ipad cover or is it screened? Even if you weren't going to loose your business over it we would still need a little more information. Material? Process? Do you have to vectorize the art? Substrate included?... Not giving you crap, just trying to be constructive. You will also be hard pressed to get folks to post actual pricing in this section.

IGD

First you need to find out how much Disney and apple are going to charge you to license it. I'm guessing about 150k. Walk away young man, walk away. Also, are you going to dye sub to a ipad cover or is it screened? Even if you weren't going to loose your business over it we would still need a little more information. Material? Process? Do you have to vectorize the art? Substrate included?... Not giving you crap, just trying to be constructive. You will also be hard pressed to get folks to post actual pricing in this section.
yeah i know its a friend of a friend, i dont ever do stuff like this..I know what your saying I didnt think about how much crap im gonna get for it, and i just found it and started to vectorize it, i would use oracal 651 and just cut it as a decal

Salmoneye

Well, since it's illegal I would just give it to him if you are going to do it. But let's assume that it was let's say ummm a circle or 5 type design. You are going to have some time vectorizing on your 2k computer, with your 2k software package, sending it to your 2k rip, to cut it on your 5k cutter sitting in your 2k per month rent office.... you get the point. You had to interface with the customer, find the art, you will have to weed and mask it, invoice it, contact your customer, bs with him when he comes to get it, explain to him how to put it on... I guess my point is that this is not just a little sticker any more, it is a full custom art and production job. Your customer is not going to want to hear any of that and no matter what you get him to pay you are probably going to break even at best, but it has to be done. I, like most here will have a shop minimum. Our minimum might be $65, yours might be $50 or?? but you have to have one. I tell customers like what it takes to make it, tell them they can have 4 for the same price, same work really. Don't be the $12 'sticker guy or you will not be around for long.

Salmoneye

And to answer your last question, nope. Lots of folks steal, it's all fun and games until someone looses an Eye yay yay they took my shop. In reality, you run very little risk on a little one off like this if risk is all you are worried about. I am not the copyright police, I'm not giving you crap, just trying to educate you a little because you look like you are just starting out.

IGD

ok close this thread moderators im just gonna give it to him, dont wanna risk anything or give myself a bad name, and your right i am just starting out nor do i wanna be the 12$ sticker guy...still learning as i go

Salmoneye

Might not be the pristine thing to do, but it's probably what I would do as well. Since you are practicing design you could take some spare time and try to come up with a new, original design that you could sell online. Eve handing Adam the apple? A cute worm coming out of it? The word 'Bad' in front of the apple... Good luck.

IGD

Might not be the pristine thing to do, but it's probably what I would do as well. Since you are practicing design you could take some spare time and try to come up with a new, original design that you could sell online. Eve handing Adam the apple? A cute worm coming out of it? The word 'Bad' in front of the apple... Good luck.
appreciate the advice, didnt really think it thru before I posted

J

john1

IGD, It looks like your just starting out as i was a few years back. I sold random stickers that everyone wanted on their cars and all this. It does get you started but really focus on business related clients. It will pay off in the end and you won't have to bust your rear to sell a $10 decal that they found on ebay for $1.00 shipped.

I did what i had to do to keep food on the table so don't completely rule those types of jobs out but as you do them focus on business stuff also and you will see the light. Even to this day i get people wanting a random car decal for their window, I don't turn this type of work down but i sure as heck don't market those types of jobs. It just comes with this type of business.

A decal the type that is in your post, regardless if it's a copyright character or not, Would probably be in the range of $10-15 retail. Customers can find this stuff on ebay all the time for cheaper so it's a really hard sell to be honest. I would strongly suggest not doing work with any copyright logos or characters as it's not even worth it. I heard a story once of a guy getting sued by dewalt tools for making a 6" dewalt logo decal. He was set up from the start of the phone call to after he got paid for it, He shortly got a letter in the mail.

Just a word of advice.

Salmoneye

Let's say you make $1 profit on a $10 sticker and spend 1.5 hours on it with all the stuff I mentioned: OR??? say "Sure, I can do that, we have a shop minimum of $65 because we are professional signmakers and not Hong Kong sticker service." OK, 55 people tell you "No way!" (this will not happen by the way) and only one agrees to your fair price of $65. Guess What? You just made the same amount of profit, but instead of spending the additional 82.5 hours making those signs you spent them on marketing and brought in $10,000 worth of actual profitable business into your establishment. I will NOT be making $10 stickers.

IGD

Let's say you make $1 profit on a $10 sticker and spend 1.5 hours on it with all the stuff I mentioned: OR??? say "Sure, I can do that, we have a shop minimum of $65 because we are professional signmakers and not Hong Kong sticker service." OK, 55 people tell you "No way!" (this will not happen by the way) and only one agrees to your fair price of $65. Guess What? You just made the same amount of profit, but instead of spending the additional 82.5 hours making those signs you spent them on marketing and brought in $10,000 worth of actual profitable business into your establishment. I will NOT be making $10 stickers.
very good way of putting it