• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Pricing simple CNC signs on pvc

HillHouseGraphics

Hello,
Last August, I bought a second hand CNC machine (small 30”x48”) And I have been making a few signs here and there. After learning the process and the software and doing a bunch of jobs for Existing customers and friends I have become very comfortable with the process but not so comfortable with the pricing. I Have been making Signs that include v-carving and applied cut letters and graphics out of pvc and painted. I don’t want to unspdersell myself so looking for any input as to how others price. When it comes to This area the business I’m really not sure how to price I have been using a shop rate and materials with a mark up. Any advice from those who have been doing this aspect of the business for a while? I don’t wanna undersell the marketplace.

Ian

Attachments

• 851A7335-48F0-4DED-870C-D07E1601C32C.jpeg
    851A7335-48F0-4DED-870C-D07E1601C32C.jpeg
    989 KB · Views: 608
  • 65A07762-1C85-416C-A6E1-151D723FBB7A.jpeg
    65A07762-1C85-416C-A6E1-151D723FBB7A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 360
  • FB7B7D2D-C42C-4848-8F8F-ED8A4DD9AA39.jpeg
    FB7B7D2D-C42C-4848-8F8F-ED8A4DD9AA39.jpeg
    147.2 KB · Views: 449

Gary Wiant

Ian, I havent done this for a a long time but I have a price structure that seems to have been working. What I do is use shop rate plus material & markup then I charge $75 - $100/hour for router time (including router setup & cleaning depending on the customer) on jobs with long run times I also charge for router bits. Like I said I havent done this long so my pricing may change over time.

Gary

Sandman

I use the SignCraft pricing guide for most of my 3D work although I'll admit I haven't done a lot of PVC carving, mostly HDU and wood. When all else fails I will take cost of materials and add 50%, add labor at my shop rate of $81 per hour, router time is $100 per hour, take the total and add 25% for profit. The problem is this doesn't help coming up with a quote for the customer. I have kept track of time on all my 3D jobs which helps me get a handle on pricing. I now use the pricing guide exclusively for 2D work. I timed many jobs, banners, aluminum, vehicle lettering, and the guide was right on 90% of the time so I don't bother timing those anymore.

DStanworth

Stanworth Sign
I'm in California. I bill $85h an hour for time out of the shop (installs $340 min) with a 4 hour minimum. I bill $45 an hour for shop time, design and fabrication. I mark all my materials up x 2.0
on these smaller signs you have to rely on your time spent on the project as the material markup is not great.

Just what I do.

Z SIGNS

Nice looking sign.
I'd be between $250 and $1'000 for something like this.Depends if I got a drop laying around, the vinyl for the face, are they a PIA etc.To many unknowns to list what it's worth.
This is an age old question and not one that can easily answered on a forum like this.Treating the price of a sign like it's just a commodity is wrong.This makes you and your product no different the than a deli operator selling meat by the pound.Some are happy here kudos to you.I feel this kind of thinking devalues you and the work you do. It also fuels the consumer that's looking for the cheapest. I've been fortunate to have weeded this kind of work long ago.
Competing on price alone is not a happy place for me.
If your doing wraps and prints check out Dan Antonelli's thoughts on this.The price of the sign should be based on it's value

Sandman

I'm in California. I bill $85h an hour for time out of the shop (installs $340 min) with a 4 hour minimum. I bill $45 an hour for shop time, design and fabrication. I mark all my materials up x 2.0
on these smaller signs you have to rely on your time spent on the project as the material markup is not great.

Just what I do.
Your install prices seem to be right with California pricing but your shop rate is VERY low. Consider this, most installs can be done by a carpenter. In my area carpenters are getting $40 an hour, but sign shop rates are at a minimum of $60 an hour. I'm don't know what carpenters get in your area but your shop rate should be higher than a carpenter. I don't know anyone that doesn't get at least $90 an hour for cnc machine time. You have to consider in that cost bits, electricity and replacement of the machine over it's life.