• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print and cut

Mark H

Over the years I have outsourced my cut vinyl and graphics which have mostly been applied to vehicles or interior walls. I have ever had anything more than about 15" wide. I don't do a ton but enough to justify a piece of equipment, maybe used. Any suggestions? Should I print on my flatbed and buy a vinyl cutter? Should I buy a print & cut system?

Thanks,
Mark

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Printing on your flat bed and cutting on a cutter will work but the workflow is going to be clunky. If you only do small stuff I would look for a used 30" printer/cutter for cheap and it will be much faster and efficient.

EffectiveCause

Premium Subscriber
Is this an area you plan to grow? If so, it could be worth it to buy a bigger print and cut system like a 54" or a 60". That way you don't have to worry about buying again when you start taking on larger orders. Just depends on what kind of future growth you see in for your market.

JD93

You would get a good plotter relatively cheap now, instead of paying someone else to do it and them making money from your jobs, invest in one and make more money yourself from a small investment, a couple of jobs here and there and it will pay for itself in no time

Mark H

Thanks for all the info. I can but a narrower CE6000 that would get the job done for now but I'd probably kick myself later for being stuck with a 24" plotter. a 48" would cost me about $3500. I am told that it is pretty easy to get work for it and I may want a larger more durable FC8600 Series which would cost me another $1200 or so. Thoughts?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I know lotsa people with 48" cutters. They have limited themselves to of anything of size. How many 4' banners, prints or graphics will you get..... then need a 54" cutter ?? Either do it right or save up until you can. Going off halfa$$ed will only limit you down the road. The 24" is silly.

EffectiveCause

Premium Subscriber
Do you recommend the 8600 Series over the 6000 series. Is the $ worth it?

Ive only ever used the 8600 series but from what I can tell the 8600 has a force of up to 600g the 6000 only has a force of 450g. The 8600 cuts faster and can handle thicker and more heavy duty materials and itself is made a little more heavy duty than the 6000. Also the 8600 has a larger size available(64inch).

ams

I highly recommend a print and cut. It's quite a hassle to go from one to another. If it's not laminated, it finishes it 100% when it's done. Everybody has their preferences, but I love Roland. It's a little slower than some, but great quality and they are workhorses with a high resale value.

ams

Nothing printed goes outta my shop without laminate on it.

Never really found it to be a hassle either, just part of the process.

Most of my stuff is laminated too, but when someone wants a bumper sticker or yard signs don't need it because the vinyl and ink will outlast the coroplast anyways. Some people want a temporary patch to put over something, etc.