• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print cancelling in middle of job on versaworks 540v

tommythesignguy

My printer keeps cancelling the print in the middle of a job. Never in the same place. Any ideas as to why? I have several high end wraps going and can't simply seam them every time the printer decides to take a break.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Whenever I see this issue my first thought is that the computer is going to sleep during the print. Make sure your sleep settings are turned off. Other than that, it would be a network hardware issue most likely.

mmblarg

Not sure what you use for your RIP program, but we get this problem with Production Manager. We always have to restart production manager, delete the old rip file and resend it from our design program (so don't just re-rip the glitched file.) I know this is a real B and a half since you probably have other prints running from the same program, but this fixes our issue every time. (We've also discovered that the cause of our issue is editing a rip file through Production Manager - such as changing the print speed or cut force - rather than having these setting ready before sending the file to be ripped.)

Long shot, but hope this helps

AF

Sleep setting would be the most likely culprit. Be sure to check the NIC is not sleeping as well.

TimToad

There have been multiple discussions on this and similar issues here.

Our ten year old VP-540 will stop printing at intermittent stages of a print if the temperature near the machine is under 75 degrees. We have almost no issues in the summer, but we've taken to putting a small space heater right up to the housing in the rear that holds the mainboard, etc.

We've run new ethernet cable for the network, printed directly from the computer housing Versaworks, changed IP addresses, everything others have tried and its the same.

The technician from our supplier is convinced its the main board without even seeing the machine or running any tests. For only $3,500 sight unseen he'll replace the mainboard on a ten year old machine.

The printer runs, prints and cuts beautifully, so we'll just keep doing the workaround for the time being.

Bigdawg

Just Me
We actually just replaced the motherboard on our 10 yo VP-540. It was well worth the money. We no longer have the "Not Connected" error in Versaworks that was appearing regularly or stopping in the middle of print jobs. I'm in Florida. No way I'm working in an 80 degree room to keep the printer running. It is a common problem with the VP as it ages - which is probably why your tech was sure about what was wrong.

millersigns

Owner at Miller signs
My printer keeps cancelling the print in the middle of a job. Never in the same place. Any ideas as to why? I have several high end wraps going and can't simply seam them every time the printer decides to take a break.
There is an encoder strip that connects to the print head. I had the same issue and after cleaning the dust from the strip, the printer quit timing out.