• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print & Cut Longer than 8' issues

Hey All,

I have been having issues where when I print and cut anything longer than 8' the cut tends to be off and I do not understand why this would be as the printer found all crop marks fine and I would think it would adjust the cut if the print was screwed or anything like that. ive been keeping things under 8' when it comes to print and cut jobs but I find it a bit inefficient at times. Any one else run into this issue?

TimToad

We've done up to about 12'-15' long runs on our VP-540 on print/cuts and always add extra clamp wheels for those longer runs. I'd say our stray distance is under 1/16" for a 12' run. That is why we add 1/8" to 1/4" of extra color around our letters and elements. As long as the cuts aren't actually distorting, adding a little more bleed color should cut down on your frustration.

DoubleDiamond

We first found that very new sharp blades helped. Less drag because this is what moves it off track. Secondly we started using the custom settings in RVW to put the quantity in smaller groups that each have their own registration marks and if set right the cutting automatically goes from one set to the next. And lastly we also put extra wheels in place just for the cutting. Sometimes its just a big decal and the only thing you can do is put in a new blade. What we still can't figure out is how to print and cut an image that's been broken into panels. We just print a thin black line and cut by hand. Good Luck!

Jb1983

sounds like a printer/cutter all in 1 machine...
Mimkai cjv130 had that and had the same issues, have separate cutter now (HP latex/Summa) and it cuts incredibly accurate

Reveal1

Have found that heat involved with latex curing (HP 25500, 560) can sometimes (rarely ) cause vertical distortion in middle. Apparently material heats, sags a tiny bit vertically, so reg marks are dead on at sides but cuts wanders too high towards middle. Solution, turn heat down if possible.

estunum

One of our cutters is a VS-640i. Largest I've done as a print/cut is probably 20'. It's not super easy and I always tell everyone to limit print/cuts to 6'. But when it's needed there's really 2 key factors. 1. Add plenty of bleed. 2. Place as many wheels as possible. 3. Probably the most important and trickest; square material to printer. Sometimes adding little marks right on the edge of the material extending from the marks the printer did to use a guides helps. Squaring is key I believe because I cut much larger stencils all the time out of Oramask and the most it's been off is maybe 1/8", which is not bad at all considering Versaworks is tiling several panels and going back to cut image boundaries.

ams

Often when the vinyl hits the floor, it doesn't lay down straight and in return goes back into the machine crooked.
Even though the marks are detected, it's possible your vinyl was not straight when it was printed, resulting in it going off track.
There are more reasons.

By adding a bleed, you can help prevent this. (Depending on how far off it is)

Some of Rolands new machines have multi crop marks and it will get readjusting it's self as it goes, so it never goes off.

Hey All,

I have been having issues where when I print and cut anything longer than 8' the cut tends to be off and I do not understand why this would be as the printer found all crop marks fine and I would think it would adjust the cut if the print was screwed or anything like that. ive been keeping things under 8' when it comes to print and cut jobs but I find it a bit inefficient at times. Any one else run into this issue?

Welcome to the world of print and cut machines. The accuracy of a print and cut combo machine is bound to give you headaches on anything larger than 6 feet. It's simply not the best machine for the job. When we have to contour cut things over 6 feet long, we just outsource to Signs365 because they use Zund cutters and the cuts are spot on.

OADesign

Hey All,

Along with all the other tips provided here. Try these:
Turn off heater when cutting. Let machine cool off all the way. I know this is a PIA, so sometimes I will save my cut jobs to run all at one time so there is no stop start warm up etc. A cool machine will decrease some of the distortion that comes with, you know, heat + plastic + force. Also consider slowing down the cut. You can do this in VersaWorks per job. Slower cut speed + new(er) sharp blade makes for more accuracy over long distances.

iambenwillett

I know this is an older thread, but I had similar issue trying to print and cut a 27' beverage cooler sign on a Mimaki. I found my issue to be that the inner rollers were set to off during the cut so the outer rollers were only two working during the cutting process. Adjusted all rollers to same pressure and was only off by .125 on a 27' long sign. I was happy with that result.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
anyt
I am using a Roland soljetpro4 XR-640 for print and cut and using versaworks 6.5.2. I let the printer find the crop marks as well and havent had to manual set the marks
anything over 100 inches, you'll get "off". the material just walks. I think someone up there said it, add extra pinch rollers. The material is just too heavy. But it's nice to know a summa doesn't do that. :)