• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print, cut, weed then laminate?

LMC

This may be a silly question and I think I know the answer but I'm going to ask anyway...

Is there any reason why anyone would print graphics, cut them, weed and then laminate? Leaving the laminate to "protect" the corners of the cut graphics.

I'm thinking that the risk of getting dust or fibers under the laminate will go up trying to laminate over the backer paper. And there is just as much risk of the corner of the laminate coming up and them you would have more problems. Not to mention the fact that it is generally an unnecessary step.

Is there any thing I'm missing?

Thanks

LMC

They don't want to weed again after the laminate. They want to leave a square of laminate over a bunch of individually cut pieces.

TheSnowman

Those pieces aren't cut anymore if you laminate over the top of them...unless you are using a liquid lam or a spray can lam or something. I'm hoping you are just confusing something...or that I am just confusing something.

HulkSmash

They don't want to weed again after the laminate. They want to leave a square of laminate over a bunch of individually cut pieces.

that's...dumb and makes no sense... and would possibly fail faster then doing it the right way

jmcnicoll

Ive seen lam done after weeding and then cut again a 1/8 ti 1/4 larger so that the lam helps hold done window perf.

MikePro

it can be done, but expect an air-pocket outline around your lettering.
kinda cool, i guess... as the vinyl layering "embosses" the letters slightly, but not really worth the effort. you're also increasing the likelihood of getting garbage in your laminate with all the handling during cutting/weeding... not to mention potentially scratching/smudging your printed graphic.

ucmj22

make 2 files. one with the standard cutline, then make an exact duplicate file but offset the cutline by an extra .25" Print and cut the first file with crop marks. weed off the excess making sure to leave the crop marks in place. now laminate and reload in to the printer. send the 2nd file to the printer as cut only with crop marks. you then weed off the excess laminate, and you have a .25" laminate border around your decal. I believe this technique came in a brochure along with our roland.

brush1

I do this from time to time and yes it protect edges from lifting.....specially when image is printed to the edge.

brush1

Your customers Mosh are great. They propably stick them allways with correct cleaning and on the right substrate.
I don't have any problem when I install them.....when cut with bleed print, laminated.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you use two sets of crop marks and not remove the second set, it can be done without much hassle.

The theory behind doing it this way is regardless of how much you know or don't know, when you print, lam cut, then weed, there is always going to be a minute amount of exposed vinyl and ink around the very edges. Just like gilding, you want to protect that edge from early contamination. Heck, back in the mid 90's, when these printers first came out they even sold edge seal pens for this very use.

Is it done..... not much anymore, but we've done it on quite a few occasions.

LMC

They don't want each individual piece sealed. They want a piece of laminate to cover the whole area.

Picture a 24" x 12" area with 1" dots every 2". They want the the dots cut and weeded out and then a square piece of laminate to cover the 24" x 12" area.

ProColorGraphics

I have multiple labels that I do that end up being: print/cut/laminate/cut. They have holes where lights need to show through, them the laminate covers the whole thing.

ucmj22

They don't want each individual piece sealed. They want a piece of laminate to cover the whole area.

Picture a 24" x 12" area with 1" dots every 2". They want the the dots cut and weeded out and then a square piece of laminate to cover the 24" x 12" area.

I understand what they want, but dont you think you could give them a better product if you contour cut a laminate border? I would try and explain it and sell it to them. they get what they want (laminate edge protection) and you feel good about not giving them something that will look bad. just my2¢

LMC

In my example the 1" dots are what stays... The background gets weeded out. There would be a whole lot more negative space (plain laminate) then print.

I don't think that would look good. And I think its a unnecessary step that causes more risk then reward.

tsgstl

what is the final product going on to?

I have read everything in this thread and I am still confused