• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print decorative fine art with an eco-solvent printer

cryptod

Hi everyone,

So we got a new Mimaki CJV300-160 coming next week and we're thinking to use it to print fine art. Basically i have two questions :

1- Is it technically suitable to use the CJV300-160 to print fine art ? very high quality is not required, the result needs to be just good enough for indoor decorative purposes. If so, what media to print on do you recommend ?

2- Is it economically viable to use the CJV300-160 to mass print fine art and sell it to decoration shops ? (+make the wood frames ourselves)

Thank you.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hi everyone,

So we got a new Mimaki CJV300-160 coming next week and we're thinking to use it to print fine art. Basically i have two questions :

1- Is it technically suitable to use the CJV300-160 to print fine art ? very high quality is not required, the result needs to be just good enough for indoor decorative purposes. If so, what media to print on do you recommend ?
Then, it's not really considered fine art. None of these sign printers can really do fine art quality. That's up over 2,500 dpi

2- Is it economically viable to use the CJV300-160 to mass print fine art and sell it to decoration shops ? (+make the wood frames ourselves)
Only if you have permission to duplicate it.

Thank you.

Around these parts, it's against the law to reproduce fine art, unless you are doing it for the creator themselves with their written permission. If you're talking giclee, that's a different ball game as to the quality, but again, you can't just go around printing anything you want. You must be commissioned to do so and have full authority in writing.

The other part of the equation is, aqueous based pigmented inks are best suited for reproducing art work.

cryptod

Around these parts, it's against the law to reproduce fine art, unless you are doing it for the creator themselves with their written permission. If you're talking giclee, that's a different ball game as to the quality, but again, you can't just go around printing anything you want. You must be commissioned to do so and have full authority in writing.

The other part of the equation is, aqueous based pigmented inks are best suited for reproducing art work.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

We're planning to print photographs taken by our local photographers with their consent and they will be getting paid for it. So copyright is not an issue here.

artbot

it's a mediocre set up. you won't be able to brand it as a giclee' because the ink and substrate won't be archival. most designers don't really care. they are just getting projects out. especially if it's for commercial (healthcare, energy, etc). for that stuff it's the cheaper the better.

i'd get dynamic auto painter x64 (pro). it's inexpensive. it will take a few days to get decent at it. this will allow you to upsample photos and get actual artistic effects that photoshop can not do for
your projects.