Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Print Grayscale photo in VP540

Discussion in 'Roland' started by wochi, Apr 11, 2009.

1. wochi

wochi Member

Jun 1, 2008
    Hi there,

i´m going nuts on trying to print a grayscale photo in my VP540. The prints are always greenish or for the magenta side. How can i get a good gray from this printer?
    Another problem i have is that my prints are much darker when they come out of the printer that what they seem to be in the screen.
    I´m using Versaworks and Triangle inks

thanks in advance

Tags:
  2. StreamlineDesign

StreamlineDesign Member

Sep 29, 2008
  3. wochi

wochi Member

Jun 1, 2008
    thanks for the help. What i´ve understood from that thread is that if we use color charts we can match and get some better colors. but this is for vectors, not for raster files. or did i miss something :Oops:

4. cgsigns_jamie

cgsigns_jamie Very Active Member

A quick google search returned this pdf file...

Attached Files:

5. wochi

wochi Member

Jun 1, 2008
    yes, i found it too. i´m reading it in this moment, but don´t believe it will solve the problem by itself.:banghead:

6. cgsigns_jamie

Page two has the answer:

7. wochi

wochi Member

Jun 1, 2008
    that method i already knew. but didn´t work. it got greenish..

8. cgsigns_jamie

hmmmm... usually work on my XC? I've printed grayscale images on canvas and they looked amazing. Maybe someone else has some ideas.

9. wochi

wochi Member

Jun 1, 2008
    thanks for the help anyway :thumb:

10. Sign Works

Sign Works Very Active Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    I recently had a request for printing black & white photographic images and was concerned that I wouldn't be able to achieve acceptable results but got great prints on the first try. Took the customer supplied color photographic images into photoshop & changed the color mode to Grayscale then in Versaworks I selected "Preserve Primary Colors" so that it would only print using the black ink, I also selected "High Quality" 1080 x 1080 DPI on the print quality to compensate for the few deflected nozzles on my black print head. Prints came out beautiful, no off color hues at all, this was done on a Versacamm SP-300V but the principle remains the same so should achieve the same results on the VP.

11. wochi

wochi Member

Jun 1, 2008
    well i managed to solve part of the problem. I was able to produce some nice black&white prints exporting in grayscale from the photoshop. The problem now is i have a color element in the photo. Grayscale background with a kid with a yellow basketball equipment. So grayscale from photoshop is out of question.
    Tried some more times and i was able to print a sort of grayscale but much more darker than the other and not so good in my opinion.

Anyone?

thanks in advance

12. TheReal7

TheReal7 New Member

Jun 30, 2010

Just wanted to say thanks!

We were running Wasatch SoftRIP and for the life of me I couldn't not get grays to print gray. SO we upgraded to Versaworks and still had the same issues with grayscale images. This trick saved the day. Talk about months of stress off my shoulders!