• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print Grayscale photo in VP540

wochi

Hi there,

i´m going nuts on trying to print a grayscale photo in my VP540. The prints are always greenish or for the magenta side. How can i get a good gray from this printer?
Another problem i have is that my prints are much darker when they come out of the printer that what they seem to be in the screen.
I´m using Versaworks and Triangle inks

thanks in advance

wochi

thanks for the help. What i´ve understood from that thread is that if we use color charts we can match and get some better colors. but this is for vectors, not for raster files. or did i miss something :Oops:

cgsigns_jamie

Page two has the answer:

When working with black and white, or greyscale raster graphics you can
change the default settings in Roland VersaWorks to use only the black (K)
inks to recreate grayscale images.

To do this open Roland VersaWorks and navigate to your Job Properties
window. You can get there by double-clicking on the job in your Queuee
window or by selecting the job and clicking on Job then Settings. Once
there, select the Quality tab (second tab down on your left side). At the
bottom of this screen you will see Color Management. Change the selection
in the Preset to Density Control Only. This setting will typically be set as
Pre-Press US by default.

Note that you can also apply different settings for raster and vector images
by selecting Custom and clicking the Properties button. This will open
the Color Management Properties dialog box where you can select the
Matching Method for raster and vector graphics. Select Calibration and Ink
Limit for the portion of your design that contains the grayscale data.

This method will always produce neutral grays but since you are bybassing
the ICC color workflow, it may not be suitable when you have designs
composed with both grayscale and color images. Also, since you are using
only one color (black) to compose the image, the output may look grainier so
it is recommended to print at a higher resolution.

Sign Works

I recently had a request for printing black & white photographic images and was concerned that I wouldn't be able to achieve acceptable results but got great prints on the first try. Took the customer supplied color photographic images into photoshop & changed the color mode to Grayscale then in Versaworks I selected "Preserve Primary Colors" so that it would only print using the black ink, I also selected "High Quality" 1080 x 1080 DPI on the print quality to compensate for the few deflected nozzles on my black print head. Prints came out beautiful, no off color hues at all, this was done on a Versacamm SP-300V but the principle remains the same so should achieve the same results on the VP.

wochi

well i managed to solve part of the problem. I was able to produce some nice black&white prints exporting in grayscale from the photoshop. The problem now is i have a color element in the photo. Grayscale background with a kid with a yellow basketball equipment. So grayscale from photoshop is out of question.
Tried some more times and i was able to print a sort of grayscale but much more darker than the other and not so good in my opinion.

Anyone?

thanks in advance

TheReal7

changed the color mode to Grayscale then in Versaworks I selected "Preserve Primary Colors"

Just wanted to say thanks!

We were running Wasatch SoftRIP and for the life of me I couldn't not get grays to print gray. SO we upgraded to Versaworks and still had the same issues with grayscale images. This trick saved the day. Talk about months of stress off my shoulders!