• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print head deflection - fixable?

MonoJoker

Hi all,

I have inherited a UJV160 which I mainly use for Corflute signs and it does a reasonable job. Except when printing red and red mix colours. Then I get noticeable banding in the print image. I assume this is due to the red head given the test print looks like this:

attachment.php

How would this typically be caused, by head strikes? Also, is it something that's fixable typically? I ask because I've seen it do a much nicer test print after the last owner came up and held a UV Head cleaner soaked lint free on the red head itself for about 30 seconds then did some cleans, etc. But when I try doing so I don't get any improvement. We have a Head Doctor unit here too, is it worth attempting to fix it using that? I'm told it will mostly likely destroy the printhead as they are very fragile.

Anyone got any suggestions? A new red head is probably not worth it we'd be better off getting another hybrid machine with better technology, etc. I understand these were Mimaki's first attempt at a hybrid and thus they are a bit poor - I certainly get a lot of vinyl puckering and corflute does not feed very flat through it.

Thanks.

Attachments

• testprint.jpg
    testprint.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 1,913

ikarasu

I just went through the exact same thing. Took the head out, put it in a sonic cleaner...flushed some fluid through it, but sadly it didn't fix, and the "Flushing" ended up ruining the head even more. (pushed the liquid through too hard...first attempt at fixing a head! was still worth a try). It all depends on why it's deflecting.

Do you have a lot of head strikes? If the nozzles are bent due to head strikes... you wont be able to repair it. If they're clogged due to dust, or ink thats dried out... the head doctor might be able to fix it.

Heads are fragile, and anytime you put it in the head doctor, you should know theres a chance you'll either need to buy a new head, or scrap the machine.

When its deflected this much... I'd say 20% chance it can be fixed. I'd count on it doing more damage than good.

artbot

my printer has those exact head. I syringe a bit of NMP through them. Best cleaner around for clogged UV ink.

Vinylman

Question for artbot

Can I safely use NMP to flush a stubborn JV-33 print head? I have the black channels on my print head that a slightly clogged and they don't clean well with the standard head clean cycles built into the machine.
In following your cleaning procedure, do I leave the NMP in the print head for an extended period of time? Or just flush and "test print"?
The print head in question is one I have successfully recycled from a desk top printer. Thanks in advance for any clarity you can provide regarding this.