• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print on Clear with multiple layers

clarizeyale

Hello!

I have a really fun project coming up that requires me to print on clear vinyl with multiple layers. We have an Epson SureColor 70675 and I use Flexi 12/Production Manager to print.

I know how to set up the file to have 1 layer of color.

I know how to set up the files to have 2 layers, one layer of color and one layer of white.

I know how to set up the files to have 3 layers, one layer of color, middle layer of white, and third layer of color.

What I need is for me to print two of these combinations together. Is this possible or am I limited to just doing one combination at a time?

If you take a look at the image, I am trying to print the small skull in white, the word "scullery" in the 3 layer of yellow/white/yellow, and the large skull in gray (no white).
attachment.php

A few of my issues so far -- When I try to print all three images together I cannot;
- get the gray to print in just gray, it adds a layer of white to it then another layer of gray on top (I do not make a second or third layer of the skull so this confuses me)
- get the white to print at all(?!) I've even included a layer of white, undercolor, white but still nothing!

I bring the files in as vectors so they are not flat images so the white skull not printing confuses me. I have, though, printed white and undercolor before as a box and they came out white white/gray.

Please let me know if you have any tips or suggestions how to make this happen. Let me know if this is possible or impossible as well!

Thanks!
~C

Attachments

• signs101 scullery-01.jpg
    signs101 scullery-01.jpg
    597.3 KB · Views: 464

boxerbay

not sure on your printer but in order to print three layer white you need 2 white print heads that are staggered so that one white head drops down the white ahead of the CMYK heads then the second white head for over coat.

oksigns

It would help to know the application, because, if this was some sort of window app, I'd eliminate the roadblock and do the small skull and type as separate pieces. Hell- either way, I'd plan to chop it up and save on material.

Then again, I don't know the application so my suggestion could be moot.

Chasez

Sounds to me like it's in the file. I've got an Epson s50670 and I've done this sort of thing a couple of times now. Not sure how it works in Flexi as I use onyx but if you have your spot colour identified with overprint selected on the text where there will be colour and then setup in flexi correctly with the 3 layer print, it would scroll out and print colour, suck it back and print the white, then suck it back and print the last of the colour.

Chaz

jfiscus

Rap Master
Make sure your spot white color is set as the correct name for the RIP/printer and that you have the correct profile selected in the RIP. We had to add and tweak some quicksets in Onyx to get ours to work how we wanted it with white. it should be able to print "everything at once" for this project, as the first head will be spraying white and the other head spraying the color. you should be able to get it to run at 12 pass "at once" under that type of setting instead of trying to use the goofy green rollers and laying down white, backfeeding, then laying down colors.

Wait, after re-reading the yellow needs to be yellow/white/yellow. I don't think that is possible... I would do the other parts then just overlay the yellow in cut vinyl.

clarizeyale

Thanks for the response guys.

boxerbay
not sure on your printer but in order to print three layer white you need 2 white print heads that are staggered so that one white head drops down the white ahead of the CMYK heads then the second white head for over coat.​

We have a Epson SureColor 70675 that can print white and in layers.

It would help to know the application, because, if this was some sort of window app, I'd eliminate the roadblock and do the small skull and type as separate pieces. Hell- either way, I'd plan to chop it up and save on material.

Then again, I don't know the application so my suggestion could be moot.​

This is going on store front windows, second surface application. The small skull and name are going on the front doors. The large gray skull will be large and applied on the door window and surrounding windows. The client wants the smaller graphics on the door to be solid/opaque and the large skull to be transparent and "etched" or "frost" looking which is why we don't want white applied to it.

Sounds to me like it's in the file. I've got an Epson s50670 and I've done this sort of thing a couple of times now. Not sure how it works in Flexi as I use onyx but if you have your spot colour identified with overprint selected on the text where there will be colour and then setup in flexi correctly with the 3 layer print, it would scroll out and print colour, suck it back and print the white, then suck it back and print the last of the colour.

Chaz
The file I bring in are vector line drawings. I have only one layer of the large gray skull because we don't want white in it. I have 3 layers for the text as we want that to be yellow/white (undercolor)/yellow, and I set up the small skull to also have 3 layers white/undercolor/white.

The gray will end up having 3 layers done even if I don't have the files set up that way.
The white won't print at all.
The yellow/white/yellow comes out perfect.​

Make sure your spot white color is set as the correct name for the RIP/printer and that you have the correct profile selected in the RIP. We had to add and tweak some quicksets in Onyx to get ours to work how we wanted it with white. it should be able to print "everything at once" for this project, as the first head will be spraying white and the other head spraying the color. you should be able to get it to run at 12 pass "at once" under that type of setting instead of trying to use the goofy green rollers and laying down white, backfeeding, then laying down colors.

Wait, after re-reading the yellow needs to be yellow/white/yellow. I don't think that is possible... I would do the other parts then just overlay the yellow in cut vinyl.

Printing yellow/white/yellow is not a problem as that comes out perfect... It's getting the gray to print out "transparent" without white and the white to print cuz as of right now, it doesn't. I want this done altogether, not in separate pieces.

----

The white and yellow are within relative spacing from each other. I moved the gray so it's closer for your viewing purposes but it's really supposed to be lower on the door (as well as some elements being close to the top of the white skull.

We do not want to do this in cut vinyl as there are toooo many small details in the skull that it would be a b*tch to cut and weed.. so we opted for optically clear..

And the OTHER issue is the clients designer really wants us to use the TIFF file he has (which is pixelated and not clean) rather than using a live traced vector file. We're really trying to push him to use the live trace so we can print this correctly... :/ but this is a different problem.

ProColorGraphics

I'm not sure with flexi. I use caldera with my s70. I can setup 5 different layers of printing. You just need to use the outside high tension pinch rollers, as it'll print one layer then feed it back for the next layer. In caldera, you can tell it to do each layer just a spot, just color or spot and color.

like I said, I, not familiar with flexi, but in caldera this is all easily setup in the tip.

clarizeyale

I'm not sure with flexi. I use caldera with my s70. I can setup 5 different layers of printing. You just need to use the outside high tension pinch rollers, as it'll print one layer then feed it back for the next layer. In caldera, you can tell it to do each layer just a spot, just color or spot and color.

like I said, I, not familiar with flexi, but in caldera this is all easily setup in the tip.

Oh interesting. I believe we can have multiple layers (more than 3) as well but I'm not entirely sure yet how to make certain objects not have an undercolor. We've just recently been messing with printing on clear with white ink which is why we've tackled this job. Flexi can be kind of confusing. Fortunately, we'll be going to SGIA this year so I will have some questions lined up if possible!

Luckily, the client has decided to change the direction of some of the colors; small skull will now be yellow/white/yellow along with the text so now I'm just waiting on the final word regarding the gray. It seems he will be choosing to do gray/white/gray so if that's the case, then the thread is no longer needed LOL but any responses would be great for future references cuz I'm sure this will probably come up again.