• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print quality from SP300

zymerguyer

Hello, I went to look at a 2007 Roland SP300v and ended up not purchasing it. The reason was because of banding lines that were really apparent on normal quality print. I figured that I didn't want to deal with that, plus the fact that it was only a 30" printer, and now I'm leaning towards a new 540i. I've taken a pic of the print and was looking to see what you guys thought. If I was too much of a nitpicker, or if banding like this is an easy fix, or if it was a good decision to pass on the printer.
Thanks!
Travis

Attachments

• DSC00933.jpg
    DSC00933.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 204

vinylcutgraphics

I have to print fairly high quality on mine not to get it to 'band' - but then i do know know the heads are quite tired. Could be a number of things but not acceptable print quality.

CS-SignSupply

May not be the printer, but the media, media feed setting and RIP.

When viewing a printer to purchase, make sure you know the brand and series of material being used, get a Nozzle test print, check the Print/Cut alignment and pull a history on the unit if possible.

NSDdesigns

I had this on mine just recently. Printer profile change up from generic and also a correction to the media feed eliminated all the banding issues.

otctech

Banding is caused by so many different things its impossible to say from that picture. It could be a easy setting adjustment or it could be a nightmare replacing all kinds of different parts trying to fix it. No simple black and white answer.
When viewing a printer to purchase, make sure you know the brand and series of material being used, get a Nozzle test print, check the Print/Cut alignment and pull a history on the unit if possible.
+1

strypguy

I get that on normal or fast printing when it's a solid print. If I print pictures or something like that I can get away with Normal. I usually print my stuff slowwwly at high quality.

If it all looked the same there wouldn't be those options??

John

brentriley

SP300 Fuzzy but got new heads

i have new heads / New pump and all of a sudden i am getting really blurry/fuzzy prints. Some print ok (not great) and others are horrible.
The registration marks are all jacked up that the printer cant read them.
Test print looks good.

:bushmill:

model Roland SP300 (older unit not I or V)
Roland ColoRip 2.2
Solarios Ink CMYK
located in basement on concrete floor
3m Vinyl. I have tried mat finish and 3M glossy vinyl.

Attachments

• Print2.jpg
    Print2.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 183
  • Print1.jpg
    Print1.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 158
  • REGphoto.jpg
    REGphoto.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 161
  • TestPrint.jpg
    TestPrint.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 174

FrankW

You have a dirty or damaged Linear Encoder ( 90%) or a Problem with the Linear Encoder Sensor. At first,
try to clean the Plastic Strip which seems to be transparent which can be found below the Front Cover above the Printers Platen with some non-agressive Cleaning liquid careful (don't damage it). If this do Not solve the problem, the Strip (the linear Encoder) can be turned (if nobody have done that until now).

Last edited:

brentriley

Thanks. I dont think that strip has ever been replaced. I have been so frustrated over the past couple days with this machine.
so the strip can just be flipped?

FrankW

Thanks. I dont think that strip has ever been replaced. I have been so frustrated over the past couple days with this machine.
so the strip can just be flipped?

Try to clean first.

There is a metal part at the left side of the strip what have to be placed at the right side before flipping. It's not difficult to flip, check how it is fixed now and do it vice versa ... the lower part of the linear encoder needs to be up after flipping. You need to move the Head Carriage away from the caps, because one mounting point is behind.

brentriley

I tried to clean it and get the same result. I am gonna try to flip it first, is there anything I need to run aka env match after I flip it ?

Has anyone used http://www.solventparts.com/ to get parts I need an encoder strip and maybe sensor....
How hard is it to change the linear encoder strip and sensor? Is there something I need to run on the machine after the sensor and strip are replaced?