• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print size off

Colin

I recently finished off a roll of Neschen Monet Canvas, and this time around bought a less expensive roll of “RiteMedia” brand canvas and have run into a strange problem.

I just printed three JPG photos on the 54” canvas that were sized in PS at 12.25” square. When I measured them afterwards, I discovered that while the dimension of the width of the photos (which corresponded with the left to right movement of the print-head) was correct at 12.25”, the height of the print (which corresponded with the “feed” of the material) was incorrect at 12”.

Given that this new material is slightly thicker than the previous roll, I thought it must be a feed issue, so I went in and did all the test-prints and reset all the settings for this material (it wasn’t out much from before).

Unfortunately it’s still printing the image ¼” less on the height of the photo (fore/aft feed direction).

I had to go into PS and re-size them to 12.25” x 12.5” in order to get ‘em to print at 12.25” x 12.25”, but that’s a band-aid solution.

What is causing this?

*I was using the old Monet Canvas profile in RVW
*Never had this problem before with any material
*Roland SP-540i

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
I'm presuming you did the media feed calibration? Is Versaworks set to use the printer settings or software settings? If set to use software settings, input the calibration settings you came up with on the test print into the software. Let us know...

Colin

I'm presuming you did the media feed calibration?

Yes.

Is Versaworks set to use the printer settings or software settings? If set to use software settings, input the calibration settings you came up with on the test print into the software. Let us know...

Ack! Just checked now, it was set to "Use Default Media settings" instead of "Printer settings", so I bet that was it. It had been quite a while since I had printed on media other than vinyl, which has "Use Printer settings" set as the default, so forgot to check that setting.

I will do another test-print when I get a chance and report back.

Thanks!!!

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hopefully you pulled some off the roll, so it didn't hafta pull the full weight of a new roll. That'll always f*ck with things.

edit: that's a technical term.​