• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Print Vinyl for Brick Walls

SouthEastMIsigns

I currently use 3M IJ8624 Rough Texture vinyl with 8524 laminate for any textured wall wraps (brick, cinder block, etc). I have noticed other wall wraps that seem to hold into the grout lines better than the 3M rough texture. What media are you using for brick wall wraps?

ikarasu

For Brick vinyl it's mostly about how you applicate it. Are you using the proper tool and a heat gun? It needs to be pressed in really tight, and heat gun set at 750-1000 degrees.

Here's a link tire of 8624... Can't see the grout lines too well, but you can see the does go in pretty good.

This was a pcture from an install course... So ignore all the burn marks it was my first time applying. Took 3-4 tries to get it down... and I'm sure I'd still burn some areas of I were to do one today.

I experimented with, and without the $250+ tool they provided... It stuck way better and went on much nicer with the tool. So if your having issues with it sticking to grout.. I'd check your tool if your using one for flat spots/cracks. And make sure it's getting enough heat

Attachments

• 20180130_161332.jpg
    20180130_161332.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 854

SouthEastMIsigns

For Brick vinyl it's mostly about how you applicate it. Are you using the proper tool and a heat gun? It needs to be pressed in really tight, and heat gun set at 750-1000 degrees.

Here's a link tire of 8624... Can't see the grout lines too well, but you can see the does go in pretty good.

This was a pcture from an install course... So ignore all the burn marks it was my first time applying. Took 3-4 tries to get it down... and I'm sure I'd still burn some areas of I were to do one today.

I experimented with, and without the $250+ tool they provided... It stuck way better and went on much nicer with the tool. So if your having issues with it sticking to grout.. I'd check your tool if your using one for flat spots/cracks. And make sure it's getting enough heat

Yes, I'm using rollers and Porter Cable heat guns. I can get it to go down during the intstall, but when I visit the sites 6 months later, I've noticed some of the vinyl is starting to tent over the grout.

ikarasu

I'm going to guess that the issue is too fast/not enough heat.

It turns into a matte like color once it's heated enough. During the course the instructor would come and look at all angles... any shine/gloss he saw he'd deduct points. So I'd take a look and make sure it's turned matte.

I haven't done any personally, but we do have some up that have been up for 5+ years using IJ 8624, with no tenting. We don't have the harshest winters/summers though... So that may play a role in it.

I do know you have to pretty much do it perfectly or it wont last long though.

Even this guy is going a bit faster than we were taught.

Make sure the grooves are in the middle of the roller - Even if you have to overlap... that ensures the best pressure on the center. Also kind of do a "Wiggle" when going over verticle grooves to make sure you're pressing them in, and not just skipping over it.

For the 3M preffered course... the brick wall is the one most people fail on (Or so I'm told) Because it's tricky to do perfectly... and anything less than perfect you'll get an early failure.

SouthEastMIsigns

I'm going to guess that the issue is too fast/not enough heat.

It turns into a matte like color once it's heated enough. During the course the instructor would come and look at all angles... any shine/gloss he saw he'd deduct points. So I'd take a look and make sure it's turned matte.

I haven't done any personally, but we do have some up that have been up for 5+ years using IJ 8624, with no tenting. We don't have the harshest winters/summers though... So that may play a role in it.

I do know you have to pretty much do it perfectly or it wont last long though.

Even this guy is going a bit faster than we were taught.

Make sure the grooves are in the middle of the roller - Even if you have to overlap... that ensures the best pressure on the center. Also kind of do a "Wiggle" when going over verticle grooves to make sure you're pressing them in, and not just skipping over it.

For the 3M preffered course... the brick wall is the one most people fail on (Or so I'm told) Because it's tricky to do perfectly... and anything less than perfect you'll get an early failure.

Thanks so much for the info!!!

ikarasu

Also, you can go over the channels again with the Vcat tool. 3M™ Vehicle Channel Applicator Tool, VCAT-2

Another expensive $100 tool... But this way you're only re-applying pressure to the channels. One of the tips on passing was to actually go over every groove with the mcat/heat again to make sure it's all pressed down and conformed good.

T_K

You may be right. Heating and rolling a 40'x8' brick wall wrap is painfully time consuming.

I had about a 10' x 15' textured interior wall application to do. My arms were aching by the end. And that wasn't nearly so difficult as brick & mortar.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
What about contour cut vinyl with application tape?? I've having hell of a time getting the vinyl to stay without application tape pulling it off. I assume I heat it AFTER I remove app tape right?