Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions printable frosted vinyl that we will see on both sides

Discussion in 'Product and Supplier Referrals' started by bigben, Jun 13, 2018.

1. bigben

bigben Moderator Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    So I need suggestions for a material. Right now, I'm using GlassAdhere frost for printing that we can see both side. It's a great product, but I need something with real adhesive like regular frosted vinyl because it is too easy for people to remove the material.

So I need a printable frosted vinyl, compatible with latex printer, with a mostly white color (not silver), with good light transmission. I would prefer something that is wet apply (so with a film liner, not paper).

I've tried the mactac bfree frosted vinyl. It work great, but is too opaque. The visual on the ''ink side'' is 100%, but the other side is just at 50% opacity. Compared to the glass adhere that is 100% on one side and 90% on the other side.

I saw a window made by a competitor, but I can't find a material that will recreate this.

Tags:
  2. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Major Contributor

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    Our frosted iDot would work well for that.

3. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Major Contributor

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    You can get the Drytac Spot On out in your area I believe.

4. bigben

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    I have the drytac spoton. But I don't like the little spot design when you look close and it's too easy to remove like the glass adhere.

5. fresh

fresh Very Active Member

May 16, 2011
    nj
    I have a test on my window right now... I printed in reverse on cal matte lam and installed it on the inside of the window. Its very light frost, but the printed part looks great on both the inside and outside.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  6. eahicks

eahicks Very Active Member

Apr 17, 2012
    DALLAS, TEXAS
    Never thought of trying that....which matte lam you using? I have Oracal 210 and GF Matte....not sure how well they would print but I wanna try it out.

7. fresh

fresh Very Active Member

May 16, 2011
    nj
    99% sure its arlon 3420 in matte

8. RISEgraphics

RISEgraphics New Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I've been using MacTac's JT5798M Dusted vinyl and have had great experiences with it.

9. bigben

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    interesting. I wonder how hard would be the install for larger piece like 50in X 100in. Also, I don't think I will be able to print on this with my L260

Do you have a picture of both side of the print?

10. RISEgraphics

RISEgraphics New Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I don't, unfortunately. I've always saved the photos of our completed tradeshow booths, but just started at a new exhibit house and don't have access to those photos anymore.

Attached is the only picture I could find of one of the many dusted vinyl applications I've done and really isn't the best example I could give you, but gives a bit of the idea. The frosted version from Mac Tac is a lot more transparent than the dusted, if you would like to call your local supplier for samples of each. I would highly recommend it.

Attached Files:

11. fresh

fresh Very Active Member

May 16, 2011
    nj
    do it wet? I used calendared lam because it was just a test for something else, but i'd like to try it out with cast. BUT Then I'm sure I'd print on the lam, and then laminate it with the same thing to make it easier to install. Either way, 50x100 without air release is most likely going to be a wet install, which would be fine with laminate.

• Like Like x 1
  12. clarizeyale

clarizeyale Member

Aug 25, 2016
    SF Bay Area
    Did a 2nd surface print on 3m frost (I think it was dusted crystal) and it came out nice and clear.

13. bigben

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    Do you have a picture? What printer did you use?

14. clarizeyale

clarizeyale Member

Aug 25, 2016
    SF Bay Area
    • Like Like x 1