• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printed clear back lit signs washing out when lit... NEED HELP!

Insignia Signs

I am working on some large printed back lit signs on clear polycarbonate with the print on the backside of the poly and printed in reverse of course.

I currently have to do 2 pass print on clear and print two of them. When Installing I lay one print(laminated), then white translucent, and finally another print identical to the first. This is all done because if not doing two prints then the image will appear to be washed out when lit. I have talked to some other sign companies and they have informed me that they do this same style sign but with only one print and not having the wash out issue.

If you know how to do this or can help me in anyway please let me know!

J Hill Designs

the only way I dont get a washout issue is 1st surface print on white trans applied to white acrylic/polycarb (dep. on usage/size) then reverse print on clear applied second surface. perfect color day and night

Letterbox Mike

Hello fellow Insignia...

Jhill's way is one good way to do it. Another is similar to how you're doing it now. Double-print on clear, lay that, but then do a single-print on translucent white and lay that overtop of the clear print. That will give you three ink layers, with white in between, so you'll have good color day and night. There's no reason for you to print onto clear and lay that overtop of translucent white, just print onto the white, save a ton of materials and the extra labor.

J Hill Designs

registration is more of an issue when the two films are right over the top of each other. also, I feel that double print on clear makes it too dark during daytime viewing

kawaja

Make a normal print on the surface and reverse print at the back of the same material but in 70% of the front side one to get a good colors day and night and that would save materials and to avoid registration.
Some printers have a camera reading the start printing point, if your printer doesn't have one then use your skilled to mach with the starting point, usually it works.

Insignia Signs

It is a Roland XC-540.

I can put a print on the front surface of the substrate due to the way the customer wants the product to look.

10sacer

We just do a single layer of color followed by a double-hit pass of white followed by a pass of 4 color - all inline with the UV flatbed. Takes a little longer but its a one step process and looks nice. Doing it this way you can also put in some cool watermark effects.