• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printed/Plotted Vinyl Peeling Away From PVC

signguy39

Premium Subscriber
We produced a large sign with custom routed PVC lettering this February. This was an interior sign. Our customer just informed us that the vinyl on the cut PVC lettering is peeling away from the PVC. I've attached an image. Some details on the materials used:
-Substrate used is 6 mil white Palight Foam PVC
-Vinyl used is Avery MPI2923 Matte EZ with a Lamex Luster UV lam
-Vinyl was printed and plotted on a Roland SolJet Pro4 XR-640
The only reason we could think for the peeling was maybe that the grey was printed edge to edge? We've used this method before without any problems, which is why we're scratching our heads. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Graphic.jpg
    Graphic.jpg
    758.9 KB · Views: 592

JaySea20

Did you let it fully out-gas? For a saturation like that I would think a minimum of 24 hrs. Preferably 48 hrs. Did you use application fluid?
Normally edges lifting all around like that is from the leftover solvent gas(Trapped under the laminate) leaking from the edge of the vinyl and softening the adhesive at the edge.

papabud

Lone Wolf
i am curious on the location of this sign, is it in sunlight even through a window? looks like the vinyl has gotten warm

You need to verify the compatibility of the laminate. Since you laminated the vinyl I assume you didn't cut it too soon before the outgassing has occured.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Resembles just too much saturation of ink and as it's now fully curing, it is starting to go back to it's original shape/size. The vinyl you used is for short term or medium usage with proper laminate. Once that starts..... there's no stopping it.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
prepped with 91% or better alcohol first? What brand PVC? I've gotten some cheap stuff before that vinyl did not stick well too...it was the stuff with a clear liner. Never used it again.

NateF

In nearly 5 years of doing this, I've only seen vinyl peel off PVC once like that - and it was Avery 2903. We switched to 3M IJ35 and IJ40 and have never experienced another problem with mounting prints on PVC. It really irritates me - We have a local sign supplier that has the best service but only carries Avery products. I would give them all my business if I could, but I just don't want to use Avery printable films any more.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
What eahicks said. Particularly if the PVC is unpainted (my eyes aren't good enough to see if it is).

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
What eahicks said. Particularly if the PVC is unpainted (my eyes aren't good enough to see if it is).
Unpainted PVC isn't an issue....we mount to PVC every day. It's the cheap stuff that's more porous than usual that I've had problems with.