• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printer options

tyhoppy

I'm looking at used ecosolvent printer options. The options that I currently have are the Mutoh 1324x, Roland Versacamm SP540V, Mutoh Valuejet 1604, and the Roland SP300v Print/Cut. I understand that two print only and one print and cuts, but I'd like opinions on print quality, maintenance cost, and cost per print between these models. I'm kind of leaning toward the Roland, because I think it would be easier to print and cut with the same machine and I can outsource larger prints, but I have a Titan Lasercut II that I can cut with up to 43".

Your opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

tyhoppy

Avoid print/cut options as it will inevitably come up that you need to print something while plotting another job. Not to mention how do you print & laminate & cut without printing, unloading, laminating, reloading, then cutting. Not to mention all ecosolvents require outgassing periods. I'm running a hp 560(previously l25500) & graphtec. I can't begin to count how many times I've print & applied same day.

Thank you for your feedback. That is a good point. I was originally looking at HP Latex printers, but do not have the power requirements for the heaters.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Keep looking, I know that the Roland is a very old model and is not really competitive for printing quality and the inks/parts are also getting expensive as they are no longer in high demand.
I'm betting the Mutohs are also getting older. Call your local sales reps and see if they have any demo units they need to move.

rjssigns

I still run my SP540V. Built like a tank and runs about as fast. LOL She's a runner though. Last summer I used it to knock out pieces for 12 shuttle buses, 2 full van wraps, box trucks, boom trucks etc. In a short span of time I printed 6 full rolls of wrap media. Then there was all the calendared material projects.

Does it work? Yes. Has it been reliable? Mostly yes. I've had some weird things happen that forum members helped me with. I've replaced all the ribbon cables, encoder strip, encoder board and eye, media sensor and various other consumables. BTW ribbon cables are consumables.

Good thing is parts are still relatively cheap and the printer is easy enough to work on.

Contour cutting is no longer reliable on the Roland. I've done tons of tweaks, reset spring tensions and shimmed components trying to get cutting consistency. I bought a Summa over a year ago and contour cutting mistakes have dropped to almost zero. I still manage to ruin contour cuts because of operator error.

Honestly, I'll tell you what I tell everyone looking for a printer. Find the dealer in your town and buy new or refurb from them. Even if you spend a bit more. When the printer breaks it will do so in the middle of a massive job with a penalty clause for being late. Until you can get someone on site to get it running it's a boat anchor. Been there done that. Fantastic way to have people wanting to see your head on a stick.