• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Printer/ Plotter

george clark

Looking into a Roland Versa Cam print/ cut. Friend says it's a tank? That means strong and reliable. Any feedback on that?

george clark

kind of set on Roland Versa Cam 54 print/cut. but don't know much about it other than a reliable source recommended it.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
kind of set on Roland Versa Cam 54 print/cut. but don't know much about it other than a reliable source recommended it.

Well I can honestly tell you, that is not the right way to buy equipment. Some machines are much better suited for certain applications and unless you understand the applications you want to do it will be wise to look at your options. Are you brand new to large format printing? Have you seen ANY other machines by chance?

AKwrapguy

It all depends on what you want to do, how busy you are, turn around time, experice, etc.... I would stay away form a print/cut machine and it limits you. You can't print while your cutting and vise versa. Also if the machine goes down for some reason you SOL, where if you have separate machines you can still print or you can still cut. Also depending on the price you could probably pick up a new HP entry level latex machine and a entry level plotter with warranty. With latex you have no fumes, no need to out gass, less worry about maintenance and upkeep. Overall unless you doing specific work that requires metallic or white I really would research the latex machines. While I was at one shop my boss wanted the Roland Versacam cause of the option to do metallic's, so we picked one up, the metallic ink is 'ok' but there was no real market for it, it's expensive and ended up wasting most of the ink through the machine as it went through it's cleaning cycles. Now I'm at a shop that just switch from eco-solvent to HP Latex and the difference is pretty nice. I don't see us going back to solvent. The health benefits alone I think are worth it.

2B

while is it better to pick the machine to the intended use, most of the printers today can be crossed platform used.

the other point to make sure you look at is the maintenance / servicing of the machine
would contact all of the main suppliers,
ROLAND
HP
MIMAKI
MUTOH
EPSON
ETC
see who the closest vendor / tech is and that is your start point

Each brand has their quirks and each machine will act differently, you as the user have to figure out and make the machine work for you

Last edited:

Cynosure

Everyone makes a good point about the right machine for your setup and needs...but that being said, both my Roland have indeed been tanks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk