• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printer Questions - Multifunction Color Laser

kalvix

We are looking to replace our existing HP color laser printer and are questioning the eternal question about which one to buy. We are looking at a multifunctional color laser printer. I the past these have been very hit and miss.

I think it would be extremely beneficial to have an 11x17 with capabilities of printing off large images, proofs, etc. duplex would be great.

What do you guys use in your shops that work well?

FatCat

After 15 years in the printing and offset world I've played around with all kinds of desktop color lasers and their bigger color copier cousins. I'm sure I don't have to mention 11 x 17 color printers are VERY expensive, usually 5-10X the cost of a comparable letter sized color laser or more. So if you decide to go that route make sure you REALLY need that feature. If you go 11 x 17 I would stick to Canon, Xerox/Tektronix or HP. Reason being is they typically are the easiest to get parts and consumables for and tend to build their machines a little better than the others. Also, you didn't say how many prints you'd make a month. If it's more than 2,500 pages/mo you're usually better off looking into a true digital color copier. You'll get better mileage on the machine and toner/parts savings.

We have a big Konica/Minolta Bizhub at our shop so if it has to be 11x17, 12x18 or 13x19 that machine does it. If I need larger, I throw it on the Mutoh with poster paper. However, my desktop machine is a new Samsung CLP-620. For less than $250 I picked it up at Office Max and it prints letter sized and duplexes just fine. More than enough for invoicing and the occasional printing I need it for.