• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help printhead clogged after replacing ink cartridge

nico

-problem with HP Latex 315-
hey guys, so I ran into a problem this morning I've been trying to fix it by myself for almost 5 hours now with no luck at all.

after changing the magenta ink cartridge (for the first time) the machine started printing with horizontal banding and it hasn't stopped even though I've already tried (a couple of times already):

optimizing image quality
-calibrating color
-automatic printhead alignment
-cleaning all printheads

I ran printhead diagnosis (I'm attaching photos in the next post) and it seems like printhead number 5 (Y/M) is the problem, even in the printhead alignment prints you can see serious banding and spaces/lines not being printed.

optimizer prints in tests look off too (i'll attach photos)

I also cleaned the "electric parts" in the carriage and printheads with the carriage interconnect wiper.
I've tried everything I can think of and sadly my tech support is no good.

It makes no sense to me that a printhead would get damaged after replacing the ink cartridge, is this even possible?

All help is very appreciated.
nico

nico

First time I see hints of magenta on the optimizer print tests too.

Attachments

• 84C98470-34DC-4CF3-92D1-90AA18E6A42C.jpeg
    84C98470-34DC-4CF3-92D1-90AA18E6A42C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 208
  • B66A7FFF-D47E-4E2D-A096-B4A5294836A8.jpeg
    B66A7FFF-D47E-4E2D-A096-B4A5294836A8.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 218
  • F74802B4-6925-4EF5-BAC5-1459A3F4B934.jpeg
    F74802B4-6925-4EF5-BAC5-1459A3F4B934.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 191
  • AC10CB5E-2866-45D2-84F6-2ABD7FC444E3.jpeg
    AC10CB5E-2866-45D2-84F6-2ABD7FC444E3.jpeg
    994.3 KB · Views: 208
  • B671A0CE-5F6F-4868-846E-0C82F745A6EC.jpeg
    B671A0CE-5F6F-4868-846E-0C82F745A6EC.jpeg
    938.2 KB · Views: 249
  • 4F9C9FC5-6498-4867-B30B-A5E052009A69.jpeg
    4F9C9FC5-6498-4867-B30B-A5E052009A69.jpeg
    851.9 KB · Views: 194
  • F3C8E525-BA3F-44B4-9728-8607C93797C1.jpeg
    F3C8E525-BA3F-44B4-9728-8607C93797C1.jpeg
    891.4 KB · Views: 194

EffectiveCause

Premium Subscriber
how much ink have you put through the print head? Might just be bad luck that it went out the same time you changed the ink. It looks like a bad head to me. I would just go ahead and replace it and see if that works.

nico

how much ink have you put through the print head? Might just be bad luck that it went out the same time you changed the ink. It looks like a bad head to me. I would just go ahead and replace it and see if that works.
thanks for the help!
Not even 320 ml have gone through printheads yet, this is the first ink replacement and that's why - it failing right after the magenta replacement baffles me.

EffectiveCause

Premium Subscriber
thanks for the help!
Not even 320 ml have gone through printheads yet, this is the first ink replacement and that's why - it failing right after the magenta replacement baffles me.

well at least if it is the print head it should still be under warranty.

papabud

Lone Wolf
did you run your machine out of ink.
print a large square of just magenta and do a few head cleanings. see if this helps you

dale911

President
It’s not uncommon with these heads to have multiple jets out and keep running. If you call tech support, they will likely have you run a force drop detection and then run 4 straight cleaning cycles and then another drop detection test to see if it gets the detection number under 200 or something. Then they will advise if they will be sending you a replacement head.

If you ran the heads out of ink, it’s highly possible that the head may not come back and needs to be replaced. Always keep an extra set of heads in stock. They tend to go bad at the worst moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nico

well at least if it is the print head it should still be under warranty.
Yes. I ended up ordering another one and will send the faulty one in to HP, the new one should arrive this morning.

did you run your machine out of ink.
print a large square of just magenta and do a few head cleanings. see if this helps you
Thanks for the help papabud, I did run the magenta cartridge out of ink, since I was told by my tech support it was okay to do so and replace the cartridge correctly when printed by the machine, but that being said I’m still a noob at this so if you’d advise otherwise please let me know. Thanks for the suggestion I ended up yesterday spending the whole day trying to fix it with test prints alignments calibration cleaning but no luck.

It’s not uncommon with these heads to have multiple jets out and keep running. If you call tech support, they will likely have you run a force drop detection and then run 4 straight cleaning cycles and then another drop detection test to see if it gets the detection number under 200 or something. Then they will advise if they will be sending you a replacement head.

If you ran the heads out of ink, it’s highly possible that the head may not come back and needs to be replaced. Always keep an extra set of heads in stock. They tend to go bad at the worst moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for he help dale,
I ended up doing 4 cleaning cycles But there was no improvement. I did run the magenta cartridge out of ink, did not continue printing before replacing it though. last week I did the same for the first time with the Y and K cartridges the way my tech support advised and there was no problem at all, the machine continued printing, and there wasn’t even the slightest difference in color either.
I appreciate the suggestion and I think that’s exactly what I’ll try doing, having a spare set asap

Thanks you all for the help and your time, I’ll let you guys know how it goes with the new ph, I’m installing it this morning and with the ph warranty too.

nico

update: replaced PH, all back to normal now - thanks again everyone for the help.
I'll contact HP today to see how it'll go with the warranty.