• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing a transparency.

Colin

I'm going to be printing a 4x8, and I just want to seek clarity on one little detail in case it doesn't work and I waste the print.

I have placed some text over top of a (JPG) illustration, and duplicated the text and placed it behind and offset for a drop shadow effect. Because it is sitting on a multi-colored background, I've made the shadow a transparency.

Will this transparency remain as it is when I export/print it?

I have some memory of a transparency not working properly, but I can't remember.

(Done in CorelDraw X5)

Malkin

Its been hit or miss for me anytime I have done something similar (though setup using illustrator). I will usually export to a jpg or tiff if I need to be sure.

Also you could print it at 10% first to check.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
My experience is the transparency should work decently when exported or printed as Postscript. If you're exporting all to bitmap/pixel based output, it will work for sure. May need to tweak for final output.. My negative experience has been outputing transparency on top of PMS or Spot colors. Just doesnt work. Spots needed to be converted to CMYK in order for the transparency to render properly.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Colin,
export as a tiff at 4'x8', 100dpi should be more than enough

wayne k
guam usa

sardocs

Sometimes when I do drop-shadowed text over a jpg image I select the shadow effect and the jpg and then 'convert to bitmap', merging both elements into one raster element, leavin' the vector stuff on top.

gabagoo

depends on your rip.

flatten it as mentioned - a 4x8 tiff @ 100 dpi.

not to thread hijack, but I find that when I print tiffs all the colours in the graphic get lighter and not as intense. is there something one must do before converting to a bitmap?

Custom_Grafx

not to thread hijack, but I find that when I print tiffs all the colours in the graphic get lighter and not as intense. is there something one must do before converting to a bitmap?

I think you need to make sure you embed the correct colour profile. Sounds like you are saving it either without a profile, or with the wrong one.