• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing an Excel File

SAR.Summerlin

So I am not sure where to post this so I chose this forum. I have a file it was created in Excel I have tried everything i know how to do to get this to print but it keeps having an error about 1/3 of the way through the print. I have tried printing it as a pdf, jpg, eps, flexi sign, tiff i just can't get it to print. It stops at the exact same spot on the print every time.

I tried calling both HP and Flexi and they can't help me so I am turning to the brilliant minds of Signs 101 for help.

Any ideas I am fresh out. :banghead:

CanuckSigns

how large is the file? I had to print a 20 foot long spreadsheet for some conference once, it was a nightmare, microsoft office files are designed to print on standard paper sizes.

SAR.Summerlin

Yeah that is part of the problem in excel it is letter size but I need to print it at 18x24 so I have to scale it up in flexi before printing.

SAR.Summerlin

Grrr. Ok so I tried what Colorado suggested failed at the same exact spot again. I thought for sure that would work. Every time this happens I have to hard restart my machine which is not good for it. I don't get it an image should print. File wasn't even that big.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
you want to send the problem file to one of us to take a look?
Send me a pm.

wayne k
guam usa

mopar691

only way I have ever done it is save as pdf, open in ai, flatten and vectorize everything including fonts, re-save as a ai and import into flexi.

Never tried with ps as colorado suggested but I would assume same result.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
When I need to do something like this I copy the part (or all) of the spreadsheet and paste it into an illustrator file. Most of the formatting and cell properties are maintained and it should look just fine.

Copy and Paste...not export or save as.

SAR.Summerlin

So I tried copy past into illustrator but a lot of the lines didn't paste. I have attached a jpg of the file I am trying to print maybe it is just too complex for the printer to handle.

Attachments

• Sales Achievement Chart.jpg
    Sales Achievement Chart.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 78

SAR.Summerlin

R U Kidding me so I did what royster suggested recreated the entire thing in Adobe Illustrator didn't copy a single thing from excel all new. Crashed again at the same exact point. I even changed the name of the file. Has anyone ever had this issue before I am baffled. Oh and Wayne was kind enough to convert the file for me same result there too.

mopar691

:banghead: My only suggestion now is to bang face against keyboard while screaming obscenities. :banghead:

Beyond that I am no help. Sorry. :frustrated:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
R U Kidding me so I did what royster suggested recreated the entire thing in Adobe Illustrator didn't copy a single thing from excel all new. Crashed again at the same exact point. I even changed the name of the file. Has anyone ever had this issue before I am baffled. Oh and Wayne was kind enough to convert the file for me same result there too.

So both the eps & pdf crashed your RIP (or your printer)?
I exported your xlsx out of Open Office as a pdf and then used illy to make it into a proper pdf & eps at the 18x24 size.
Shouldn't be anything in there that would cause a problem.
I'm running a long print right now but will print the file to some scrap here and see what happens.

wayne k
guam usa

SAR.Summerlin

Thanks Wayne,

Like I said I even tried completely recreating it and didn't work I have no idea what my printers issue is with this layout.

SAR.Summerlin

Ok so I have now tried recreating this file in Illy and Flexi I also tried printing a different file that is similarly laid out. All files quite 8" into the print. I have tried rotating it to print from the opposite edge and those won't even start. Has anyone ever encountered a design that would not print no matter what you did and if so do you have any suggestions the boss thinks I am a idiot since I can't get this to print.

SAR.Summerlin

Use your illustrator recreation place it into a photoshop file, then save it as a high resolution jpeg and try that.

Believe it or not I had already tried that but thanks for the idea. I even tried a second generation today I printed it out scanned it in blew it up and tried that still no go. Gonna try calling HP again tomorrow hopefully I get a more knowledgeable support person this time not someone who just blows it off as a standard error message that "could be one of a 1000 things".:help