Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Printing an Excel File

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by SAR.Summerlin, Nov 12, 2012.

1. SAR.Summerlin

SAR.Summerlin Member

Jul 11, 2012
    So I am not sure where to post this so I chose this forum. I have a file it was created in Excel I have tried everything i know how to do to get this to print but it keeps having an error about 1/3 of the way through the print. I have tried printing it as a pdf, jpg, eps, flexi sign, tiff i just can't get it to print. It stops at the exact same spot on the print every time.

I tried calling both HP and Flexi and they can't help me so I am turning to the brilliant minds of Signs 101 for help.

Any ideas I am fresh out. :banghead:

Tags:
  2. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    how large is the file? I had to print a 20 foot long spreadsheet for some conference once, it was a nightmare, microsoft office files are designed to print on standard paper sizes.

3. SAR.Summerlin

SAR.Summerlin Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Yeah that is part of the problem in excel it is letter size but I need to print it at 18x24 so I have to scale it up in flexi before printing.

4. Coloradosigns

Coloradosigns Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    Save as PDF, take into photoshop, flatten, save as tiff, print, profit.

5. SAR.Summerlin

SAR.Summerlin Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Grrr. Ok so I tried what Colorado suggested failed at the same exact spot again. I thought for sure that would work. Every time this happens I have to hard restart my machine which is not good for it. I don't get it an image should print. File wasn't even that big.

6. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    you want to send the problem file to one of us to take a look?
    Send me a pm.

wayne k
    guam usa

7. mopar691

mopar691 Member

Sep 15, 2010
    only way I have ever done it is save as pdf, open in ai, flatten and vectorize everything including fonts, re-save as a ai and import into flexi.

Never tried with ps as colorado suggested but I would assume same result.

8. FireSprint

FireSprint Very Active Member

When I need to do something like this I copy the part (or all) of the spreadsheet and paste it into an illustrator file. Most of the formatting and cell properties are maintained and it should look just fine.

Copy and Paste...not export or save as.

9. SAR.Summerlin

SAR.Summerlin Member

Jul 11, 2012
    So I tried copy past into illustrator but a lot of the lines didn't paste. I have attached a jpg of the file I am trying to print maybe it is just too complex for the printer to handle.

Attached Files:

10. HaroldDesign

HaroldDesign Very Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Sounds like your print area in Excel isn't the whole page.

11. royster13

royster13 Very Active Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Montrose BC
    I bet you could re-create it in less time than you have been wasting looking for another solution......

12. SAR.Summerlin

SAR.Summerlin Member

Jul 11, 2012
    R U Kidding me so I did what royster suggested recreated the entire thing in Adobe Illustrator didn't copy a single thing from excel all new. Crashed again at the same exact point. I even changed the name of the file. Has anyone ever had this issue before I am baffled. Oh and Wayne was kind enough to convert the file for me same result there too.

13. mopar691

mopar691 Member

Sep 15, 2010
    :banghead: My only suggestion now is to bang face against keyboard while screaming obscenities. :banghead:

Beyond that I am no help. Sorry. :frustrated:

14. SAR.Summerlin

SAR.Summerlin Member

Jul 11, 2012
    @ mopar too late been doing that for 2 days :)

15. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    So both the eps & pdf crashed your RIP (or your printer)?
    I exported your xlsx out of Open Office as a pdf and then used illy to make it into a proper pdf & eps at the 18x24 size.
    Shouldn't be anything in there that would cause a problem.
    I'm running a long print right now but will print the file to some scrap here and see what happens.

wayne k
    guam usa

16. SAR.Summerlin

SAR.Summerlin Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Thanks Wayne,

Like I said I even tried completely recreating it and didn't work I have no idea what my printers issue is with this layout.

17. SAR.Summerlin

SAR.Summerlin Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Ok so I have now tried recreating this file in Illy and Flexi I also tried printing a different file that is similarly laid out. All files quite 8" into the print. I have tried rotating it to print from the opposite edge and those won't even start. Has anyone ever encountered a design that would not print no matter what you did and if so do you have any suggestions the boss thinks I am a idiot since I can't get this to print.

18. the graphics co

the graphics co Active Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Gurnee, IL
    Use your illustrator recreation place it into a photoshop file, then save it as a high resolution jpeg and try that.

19. SAR.Summerlin

SAR.Summerlin Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Believe it or not I had already tried that but thanks for the idea. I even tried a second generation today I printed it out scanned it in blew it up and tried that still no go. Gonna try calling HP again tomorrow hopefully I get a more knowledgeable support person this time not someone who just blows it off as a standard error message that "could be one of a 1000 things".:help