• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing and contour cutting from Corel x4

goinmxn

This is probably an easy question for most of you but here goes. I am using Flexi 8.6 with my vj1204, q 42 and 300sp. I have been printing more and more, and have started to design in Corel. I have not tried to print yet, and am not sure what to do when I want to design in Corel, print, laminate and load back into the q42 to contour. Do I need different rip software? If I import into flexi, am I going to run into problems with gradients, losing my bevels etc? I like how easy it is with flexi, but Corel is so much better for creating designs. Thanks for any help!
Steve

Posterboy

I haven't used the softwares you mentioned, but I know to contuour cut with Versaworks you need to craete a colour in your pallete called CutContour, and when you export the file you need to make sure that colour managment is switched off.
In regards to losing gradients, you could convert the design to a bitmap within corel before you export, just make sure you leave the contour cut line as vector.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
This is probably an easy question for most of you but here goes. I am using Flexi 8.6 with my vj1204, q 42 and 300sp. I have been printing more and more, and have started to design in Corel. I have not tried to print yet, and am not sure what to do when I want to design in Corel, print, laminate and load back into the q42 to contour. Do I need different rip software? If I import into flexi, am I going to run into problems with gradients, losing my bevels etc? I like how easy it is with flexi, but Corel is so much better for creating designs. Thanks for any help!
Steve

The easiest way, more often than not, is to export out of Corel as a 150dpi RGB jpg. Import into Flexi, add the contour, print and cut. I do this all the time and seldom have problems.

Adding the contour is usually simple. If its just a regular shape, like a rectangle, circle, oval, etc. simply create the path in Flexi and make it the contour cut.

If it's the actual contour of an irregular shape of the bitmap out of Corel, use Flexi's bitmap transparency tool to make the surrounding background transparent then add the contour effect which will map to the non transparent portion of the bitmap.

If the contour is irregular and does not necessarily follow the bitmap then draw it in Corel before you export. Draw it in a line at least a few pixels wide, not a hairline. Use the bitmap transparency tool to make the area outside of your contour line transparent. Add the contour effect with a negative offset such that it puts the actual contour line inside of the line you drew in Corel.

If 150dpi bothers you, export the Corel image at 300 or 600 or whatever gets you off. Create the contour cut. Separate the contour cut from the image, then rasterize the image back to 150dpi. If you're printing at 720dpi there's no reason to use anything more than 150dpi for the image. You want a 4 to 1, or better, print to image resolution ratio. Anything more than that is counterproductive.

Resist the temptation to convert the image to a bitmap, add the contour as a path and export out of Corel as a PDF. Going through a PDF can, and most often does, add interesting but unwanted color shifts.