• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing and cutting colored vinyl

JgS

I am trying to print and cut on orange vinyl. My HP Latex printed does a great job of printing on the vinyl but my HP cutter cannot find the digitized marks. (I suspected it wouldn't) Any clue if it is possible to trick the cutter into finding the marks?

OADesign

In addition to what other have suggested...

This may sound silly but I believe our cutter's "eyes" work by "seeing" contrast. In an effort to save the parts you've already printed, consider taking a flash light or even your cell phone, and shine light on the dot while the sensor is searching. Not a permanent solution. But again, might save the parts you've already run.

unclebun

Put application tape over the marks and redraw them on the tape with ruler and fine point Sharpie. Just make sure your application tape is firmly stuck down on all edges or the reader can peel it up.

bannertime

In addition to what other have suggested...

This may sound silly but I believe our cutter's "eyes" work by "seeing" contrast. In an effort to save the parts you've already printed, consider taking a flash light or even your cell phone, and shine light on the dot while the sensor is searching. Not a permanent solution. But again, might save the parts you've already run.

This is actually helpful as well. We noticed an issue during a certain time of day when the sunlight would hit the material just right on the marks that it wouldn't scan. So you're not far off from a fast fix for some problems.

Why would you print on orange vinyl? If you do the math white vinyl+ink is cheaper than colored vinyl. In addition printing on vinyl that was meat to be cut only always has the risk of contaminated areas (fingerprint/handprints of workers etc.)

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Why would you print on orange vinyl? If you do the math white vinyl+ink is cheaper than colored vinyl. In addition printing on vinyl that was meat to be cut only always has the risk of contaminated areas (fingerprint/handprints of workers etc.)

Sometimes you need a color that you can't print. I had to print some warning labels that had to be neon orange. Since you can't print that color, I just printed on neon orange vinyl.

JgS

Ok, still no luck with this. I have been through the setting and can't find a way to set custom parameters on the optics. (auto media setup isn't working) It's a large run but I'm willing to set the alignment manually but can't figure that out either. Any advice?

I've actually printed black on cast yellow, orange and some blues because my client wanted a long outdoor life. At 4-5 years in the sun no ink looks that bright, but the colored vinyl still pops and the black looks pretty good.

ikarasu

Put some masking tape over it.. use a ruler and draw the lines. It's the best and fastest way, I do it all the time with reflective and get perfect cuts/reads. I wouldn't mess with settings on the cutter unless you know what you're doing, or are willing to read a lot...you may mess up the settings for other vinyls.

spooledUP7

Put some masking tape over it.. use a ruler and draw the lines. It's the best and fastest way, I do it all the time with reflective and get perfect cuts/reads. I wouldn't mess with settings on the cutter unless you know what you're doing, or are willing to read a lot...you may mess up the settings for other vinyls.
I up vote this solution.

Phil Swanson

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to print and cut on orange vinyl. My HP Latex printed does a great job of printing on the vinyl but my HP cutter cannot find the digitized marks. (I suspected it wouldn't) Any clue if it is possible to trick the cutter into finding the marks?

How about doing a small generic print with crop marks. Cut the crop mark out and place them on the orange.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Use 4 point manual bomb sight marks and register each corner manually. Beats the hell out of trying to accurately overlay the original printed automatic marks with vinyl, masking tape, sheetrock, or whatever.

We print on 3M 1080 metallics pretty regularly. I don't think it's an unusual practice at all to print on colored vinyl.