• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

printing and cutting

jzorn

I've been doing vinyl signs for a few years and have not really gotten in printing. I have a question to which I'm sure there is a simple answer.

Yesterday I installed a logo printed by a national sign company. I was a multi-color logo, and had some letters separate from the logo itself.

Now I know it was printed, but it seems that after it was printed, it was cut out by the same machine. The separate letters were of the same vinyl as the logo itself, and not layered.

Who can help me. I may want to try that printing system?
JOhn

edgette

You can get that affect with many different types of printers and cutters. The mutoh/graphtec combo I have will do that stuff all day. Just don't be surprised when you see the price tag of these printers.

OlsonSigns601

Take a two hour drive and come see me. I'll show you how we print & cut and the different types of media we use for different types of jobs.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
You can most easily understand what is involved when you consider the following:

Everything in the layout is done on one common film ... typically white vinyl.

There are three and only three possible choices for design software parameter assignments for each individual image or vector in the layout ... 1) print, 2) cut or 3) print and cut.

In your example, the logo had a print and cut parameter assignment. The text beneath it, if white, had only a cut parameter.

While new to you, the technology has been offered by Gerber since the early 1990s for their Gerber Edge thermal printer as well as Summa and by companies like Roland, Graphtec and others for inkjets.

jzorn

print and cut

I knew there was an answer, and I figured it would cost. I did notice that the base vinyl was white after taking off the backing. And with the separate letters black on the face, I knew it was printed. Now to investigate further. Thanks everyone.