• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing eco solvent Wall mural in my son's bedroom. Need Advice

Signturesigns

Hi guys - A newbie to the group sorry for the no brainer question here...
I am going to print and install a wall mural on 3m 40c vinyl on my Roland printer in my 2 year old's bedroom. I am concerned about outgas and fumes strong in his room after installing it. How long should I wait to mount it after I print each panel?

Should I let it sit for a day or 2? I have a cold laminator but I have zero experience with it . Do i need to laminate?
Also, any recommendations on where to find artwork for the little Einstein's? I was going to build myself but I wasn't sure how large I scale up the artboard as I create it. The largest file available online for a jungle background I've found is
14.4" x 10.1" @300dpi and my son's wall is 10'x9' any advice?

You can print on any matte vinyl really, just make sure you leave a 1/4 overlay as the vinyl will shrink. Let is sit for 24h before cutting off the edges otherwise it may curl up. Finding the right image is the real challenge you'll need at least 100 dpi to have an acceptable quality and I'm pretty sure you'll not find one online. If I were you I'd buy the whole wallpaper online - it'll be probably cheaper than the ink itself you'd use.

ikarasu

Hospitals are limiting the amount of ecosolvent allowed in their buildings because eco-solvent inks been found to cause problems in developing children.

Its something crazy stupid like a few ft. Now does that mean you can't do it and your kid would be fine? I doubt it'd really harm your kid... But just for a wall mural, I wouldn't risk it.

If youy decide to, id let it offgass for as long as possible. Even a week if your able to. Not like it's a rush job, so better safe than sorry.

While hospitals are starting to be careful nowadays... just remember it's been done for years and years with little to no problem... So again, you should be fine. Just give it extra time to offgass.

ams

Look into using Panorama Walk and Wall. It's great stuff. I also use Oracal 3628

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I have a customer who makes products exclusively for children and wanted to get certified by some trade group to be safe for children. They had all kinds of materials sent to the lab and found out that they couldn't use calendared vinyl but the inks were ok once dry. So it's actually the vinyl you want to be careful of. Basically you need to use cast vinyl or a fabric based material. There are phthalates in calendared vinyl to help it be more stretchy but they also cause cancer and birth defects.

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
Ok, send Disney an email, I'm sure they'd love to give it to you since it's only for personal use.

DerbyCitySignGuy

Hospitals are limiting the amount of ecosolvent allowed in their buildings because eco-solvent inks been found to cause problems in developing children.

Its something crazy stupid like a few ft. Now does that mean you can't do it and your kid would be fine? I doubt it'd really harm your kid... But just for a wall mural, I wouldn't risk it.

If youy decide to, id let it offgass for as long as possible. Even a week if your able to. Not like it's a rush job, so better safe than sorry.

While hospitals are starting to be careful nowadays... just remember it's been done for years and years with little to no problem... So again, you should be fine. Just give it extra time to offgass.

I think most manufacturers recommend around 28 days for total outgassing.

Personally, I wouldn't put it in my children's rooms. We have done cut vinyl trees and stuff though.

Personally, I wouldn't put it in my children's rooms. We have done cut vinyl trees and stuff though.

We literally eat shit (pardon) disguised as processed meat and drink colorful chemicals called fuzzy drinks. I mean being scared of vinyl and DRY ink looks like a little bit of an overreaction to me.

d fleming

I would air it out for a day or so. I also as others have suggested would use a fabric product like phototex. No laminatiing and removable with zero damage to wall. You can overlap, slice and but hinge panels.

DerbyCitySignGuy

We literally eat shit (pardon) disguised as processed meat and drink colorful chemicals called fuzzy drinks. I mean being scared of vinyl and DRY ink looks like a little bit of an overreaction to me.

I'm not "scared" of vinyl and ink or else I wouldn't be working in the print industry. Do I want to limit the amount of potentially harmful chemicals my children come into contact with? Yes, that's my job as a parent: to limit the amount of damage inflicted on my children until I can get rid of them and I'm not legally obligated to care for them anymore. Haha!

But seriously, my kids are limited on their junk food, they get zero soft drinks, and we try to feed them as healthy as possible. Is an ecosolvent print harmful? Probably not, and I'm not telling anybody they're bad parents if they put it in their kids' rooms, I'm just saying I personally would not put any solvent prints in their rooms. If they do decide to do it, I would follow the manufacturer guidelines, which (if I recall correctly) is somewhere around a month of outgassing.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Over the years of printing for food companies, school and hospitals, it is becoming more the norm to not accept any eco solve true or mild type prints. Regardless if your kid will get sick from it or not, it's not a good thing to do in young tissue and /or pets. If it's green inks, then you may and I'm not sure if latex fits that bill.

In a place where a child is sleeping and probably doing the most deep breathing, other than when crying.... I would not do it. On an open porch or screen room, perhaps, but especially not a bedroom.

Ya know.... lead in the paint didn't hurt anyone, once it was dried. It was considered while it was in it's wet stages to be unsafe, yet, they've outlawed the use of leaded paint, due to all the kids eating window sills and getting lead poisoning. I doubt your kid is gonna eat the wall, but who knows how long outgassing really takes place ??

Signturesigns

Since you're new, you should know it's illegal to print trademarked images unless you obtain a license to distribute.
Failed to even consider that since it was more in line of a fun hobby vs. reselling to make profit. How does one go about obtaining a license?

Signturesigns

Over the years of printing for food companies, school and hospitals, it is becoming more the norm to not accept any eco solve true or mild type prints. Regardless if your kid will get sick from it or not, it's not a good thing to do in young tissue and /or pets. If it's green inks, then you may and I'm not sure if latex fits that bill.

In a place where a child is sleeping and probably doing the most deep breathing, other than when crying.... I would not do it. On an open porch or screen room, perhaps, but especially not a bedroom.

Ya know.... lead in the paint didn't hurt anyone, once it was dried. It was considered while it was in it's wet stages to be unsafe, yet, they've outlawed the use of leaded paint, due to all the kids eating window sills and getting lead poisoning. I doubt your kid is gonna eat the wall, but who knows how long outgassing really takes place ??
Thanks Gina, you're really making me stop and think! Great points

Signturesigns

I'm not "scared" of vinyl and ink or else I wouldn't be working in the print industry. Do I want to limit the amount of potentially harmful chemicals my children come into contact with? Yes, that's my job as a parent: to limit the amount of damage inflicted on my children until I can get rid of them and I'm not legally obligated to care for them anymore. Haha!

But seriously, my kids are limited on their junk food, they get zero soft drinks, and we try to feed them as healthy as possible. Is an ecosolvent print harmful? Probably not, and I'm not telling anybody they're bad parents if they put it in their kids' rooms, I'm just saying I personally would not put any solvent prints in their rooms. If they do decide to do it, I would follow the manufacturer guidelines, which (if I recall correctly) is somewhere around a month of outgassing.
Thank you! I am so glad I asked this question and am hearing very though-provoking responses.Very helpful

Signturesigns

I would air it out for a day or so. I also as others have suggested would use a fabric product like phototex. No laminatiing and removable with zero damage to wall. You can overlap, slice and but hinge panels.
Thank you! Where do I buy such product? Phototex is it more expensive. I was planning to butt seam panels so seems it would work.. but curious whats the advantage of this product vs the 3m vinyl with adhesive that I already have aside from easier install?.

Signturesigns

When you did the cut vinyl did you use only singly color and try to put the tree together like a puzzle? Green makes the leaves and then cut brown vinyl for the trunk? Feels to be a lot of work?