• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing for personal use

So I've been wondering lately about something. We screen print apparel for various customers, some businesses, some organizations, some benefits, and some individuals. Occasionally we design something that we really like so we print an extra shirt or two for ourselves. Is there ever a situation where this could be deemed unacceptable? The customer pays us to create their artwork but we don't release rights to the artwork to the customers, or at least not in writing. If the customers intention is to resell the shirts, issue them to employees, or reward customers or employees with them, are we out of line to just assume it's okay to print a few for our own personal use? Since we aren't planning on reselling them and only intend to wear them or display them in the shop my partner says we can print whatever we want. I tend to think there are certain situations that would justify asking the customer's permission first. I prefer to take the safe, ethical approach to any given situation. The last thing I want is someone p**sed off because they see us wearing their shirts around without permission. I don't think it's reasonable to assume anything without at least asking the customer for permission. Am I crazy?

I searched on Google for answers to this but found no good answers so perhaps I'm worried about nothing but I would rather be safe than sorry later on.

WildWestDesigns

The customer pays us to create their artwork but we don't release rights to the artwork to the customers, or at least not in writing. If the customers intention is to resell the shirts, issue them to employees, or reward customers or employees with them, are we out of line to just assume it's okay to print a few for our own personal use?

That would probably be the stickiest of all the situations.

Could argue either way, but if they were going to resell them to the general public, that could create a problem if you were to create a few for personal use (which would include for your friends). I would see if there is good law on the subject, even ask a lawyer on that(best thing if you are really concerned about it) and either have a workaround in your future contracts (if able to do so) or just don't do it.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Ask your customer. I would think they would be agreeable, so long as it was only you who wore the shirts.

It shows a sense of pride in your work that you'e willing to sport their message. Throw in a free shirt (in the customer's order) for every shirt you plan to wear....I think they'd be thrilled.

JB

WildWestDesigns

Ask your customer.

Of course, you run the risk of the customer asking for a discount for you printing a few extra ones for personal use. I can see some of the tire kickers around here doing that.

At least if you were to take the business angle of using it as "portfolio showcasing" that tends to not bring out the tire kicker in the customer.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
When we get a pc of artwork in from a client we really like sometimes we'll print a half-size pc to put up in the sample room. I guess as long as youre not selling and just personally showing it off, there's no issue. It was a pre-production test print if you need to explain it away even.

royster13

Whether or not your client gets the rights to the artwork, it is "unethical" do anything with it without permission....It should not be printed for your own use and/or hung on your sample wall....

Locals Find!

When I ran my shop we did this all the time. In the 4 years I ran that shop I never had one complaint about doing it. We did some pretty decent sized contracts too where we knew the shirts were getting sold.

Its a pretty common practice in the industry. As long as your not exceeding 10% the industry standard for Overruns/underruns. I think you will be just fine.

Thanks for the great responses. I definitely think it's going to be in our best interest to be up front and make sure the customer okays it. I just wAnted to hear other's opinions on the subject. It seems there's a little grey area but I think most customers won't mind especially if we ask them beforehand. At least now I don't feel so bad about having a few concerns.

binki

Part of our contract with our customers is that we can display or otherwise use for advertising work we do for them. Our showroom has a number of customer jobs that we have done and we have had no complaints. We even get customers asking to have their work put in our showroom.

royster13

Ditto what Binki says but the key is permission.....As far as folks complaining, most folks that have complaints tell the world but not you directly...so not getting any complaints is not a very good measure....

njshorts

Part of our contract with our customers is that we can display or otherwise use for advertising work we do for them. Our showroom has a number of customer jobs that we have done and we have had no complaints. We even get customers asking to have their work put in our showroom.

THIS!

It's free advertising for them. Make sure that you have this in plain english in your contract, similar to "CompanyName, LLC reserves the right to produce additional finished goods as a process of your job/printrun for the sole retention of CompanyName, LLC for the purposes of (but not limited to) examples and promotions as not-for-resale goods."

Feel free to throw in something where they have the option to have their name/website/contact info listed if they'd like... and CYA with a 'if I have space/ability/etc' clause.