• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Printing head serial number

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
What machine are you working on? Most machines will allow you to install the head without the head rank. It will just use the old one.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
You can still reset the shot count. The head rank input and the shot count setting don't interact with each other, completely independent of each other.

Alebaba

Alebaba
I ran an Epson S40600 with a new printhead without updating the serial number for a year and didnt even notice the difference. The service manual states that you need to update the serial numbers because apparently printheads are not all the same and by updating the serial number the printer can better adjust the printing mechanisms to yield higher quality. I did it without the update and honestly couldnt tell the difference. I would consider my ability to notice differences medium to high. I am not a super expert like some people on this forum. The average customer will never notice the difference.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I ran an Epson S40600 with a new printhead without updating the serial number for a year and didnt even notice the difference. The service manual states that you need to update the serial numbers because apparently printheads are not all the same and by updating the serial number the printer can better adjust the printing mechanisms to yield higher quality. I did it without the update and honestly couldnt tell the difference. I would consider my ability to notice differences medium to high. I am not a super expert like some people on this forum. The average customer will never notice the difference.

As a tech who has worked in the field for over 10 years, I couldn't agree more.

You can still reset the shot count. The head rank input and the shot count setting don't interact with each other, completely independent of each other.

TIL! Is that in the service menu or something?