• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing issue

yamaha581

Would anyone know what caused this? It was printing perfect last night and then I come in this morning and it prints like this. I am not sure if its from the vinyl being a little colder than normal or an actual problem. The printer only has about 11,000 minutes on it.

Attachments

• gerber printer.png
    gerber printer.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 362

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
When was the last time you cleaned the print head? Are you using Gerber vinyl and foils? How cold is "colder than normal?" Do you have the correct materials selected for what is printing? Is it only this job that's printing incorrectly or any job you send? If the former, trying clearing out the job and resending. If the latter, make sure your connections are all good.

yamaha581

When was the last time you cleaned the print head? Are you using Gerber vinyl and foils? How cold is "colder than normal?" Do you have the correct materials selected for what is printing? Is it only this job that's printing incorrectly or any job you send? If the former, trying clearing out the job and resending. If the latter, make sure your connections are all good.

We did clean the print head not long ago but are waiting for the cloths to come in today to clean it again. it is all the same Gerber foils and vinyl we have been using all year as well as the same settings. It did this on both jobs I had tried so I just stopped for now. It got down to be about 65 in the shop so I would say the vinyl got pretty cold compared to normal but I did wait to print until it warmed up in here. I will try again once we get this head cleaned.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
Down to 65 shouldn't be an issue. We set our overnight temp at 64 and have no issue with our Edge printing first thing in the morning. Have you had any data errors? Have you tried just running a simple test print that's 1" - 4" x 11.8" on the same material and settings to see if it has the streaks?

I'm assuming you haven't changed any hardware, software, or computers between yesterday and today.

gabagoo

If I saw a print that bad, I would just reboot everything. Looks more like a glitch with the heater

yamaha581

Down to 65 shouldn't be an issue. We set our overnight temp at 64 and have no issue with our Edge printing first thing in the morning. Have you had any data errors? Have you tried just running a simple test print that's 1" - 4" x 11.8" on the same material and settings to see if it has the streaks?

I'm assuming you haven't changed any hardware, software, or computers between yesterday and today.
We have not had any errors or anything lately and it worked perfectly last night at 8pm when I used it. I am going to try again here shortly once we get the head cleaned just to see what it does do on a test print.

yamaha581

If I saw a print that bad, I would just reboot everything. Looks more like a glitch with the heater
We have had it shut off a few times and tried but it still did this the second time. We are going to try again here shortly and see what happens.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
We have had it shut off a few times and tried but it still did this the second time. We are going to try again here shortly and see what happens.
Post a pic after cleaning the head and running a fresh test print. Another quick question, you said you were using Gerber foil, but it's not clear if you're using Gerber vinyl. I know it sounds crazy, but I've had issues in the past that when I switched to a Gerber vinyl, there wasn't a problem any more. It turned out that I needed to wipe down the vinyl with alcohol because there was something on it preventing the foil from adhering properly.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
1. Check setting for vinyl/foil
2. Clean the vinyl
3. You should be cleaning your head every day before use and during use if you are running a lot during the day

What are you using for cleaning?

Try running a large field of solid color with a different foil to see if you get the same problem.

yamaha581

Post a pic after cleaning the head and running a fresh test print. Another quick question, you said you were using Gerber foil, but it's not clear if you're using Gerber vinyl. I know it sounds crazy, but I've had issues in the past that when I switched to a Gerber vinyl, there wasn't a problem any more. It turned out that I needed to wipe down the vinyl with alcohol because there was something on it preventing the foil from adhering properly.
We are using a vinyl called substance which is made specifically for the Gerber for motocross graphics. We have been using it for 2 years with no problems at all. We are doing a test print now and will see how it turns out.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
We are using a vinyl called substance which is made specifically for the Gerber for motocross graphics. We have been using it for 2 years with no problems at all. We are doing a test print now and will see how it turns out.

I only pushed the question, because if you call Gerber Tech Support, that is the first question they ask. If you're not using Gerber foil and vinyls, they won't help you until you do and get the same result.

Now, have you tried printing a block of solid color? What were the results?

yamaha581

I only pushed the question, because if you call Gerber Tech Support, that is the first question they ask. If you're not using Gerber foil and vinyls, they won't help you until you do and get the same result.

Now, have you tried printing a block of solid color? What were the results?
It will look the same as what was shown in the last two pictures. Even on other vinyl we have here it does the same. The red in the last picture we posted is with the Gerber test print that does the checker pattern of solid squares and it just comes out like that not printing half the color.

yamaha581

The one thing it does seem to be doing is before it goes to print now it says warming up and takes a little before it prints and then when it does it doesn't print much as shown in the first picture. Before it would only saying warming up the first time we would use it for the day.

yamaha581

and a large block of colour on test print.. is this the same result..if so, I fear the head personally...??
Yes when we do a large solid block it prints the same as the original picture we posted where it does not turn out solid and just had lines and spots of nothing showing up. Can a head go that fast? Last night it worked perfect without any problem and it only has 11,000 minutes.

Titch Sanders

Well, I'm not that well rehearsed with the technics of the heads, but I've had one that deteriorated within 5 or 6 shortish runs...but it had done a massive, massive amount of work in fairness, but if all results are consistent and nothing has changed on your programmes etc, it's not looking good.. However, hope I am wrong of course.
Anyone have any knowledge regarding testing the head..voltages etc?? have you tried speaking to The Plotter Doctor at all.. they helped me more than they'll ever know quite a few years back.. great guys!
Titch

Joe House

I would try reseating all the cables (with the Edge unplugged of course). Also, make sure that the grounding strap at the back, between the base and the head is in good shape.