• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing Issues with 3M SV480mC Wrap Material

heyskull

I am having some issues with printing 3Ms SV480mC Wrap Material on my VJ1604.
It is very hard to picture it, but it looks as if the material has a static issue and the ink is being drawn onto the material.
This is 3Ms new updated PVC free wrap material which is just a strange material and even 3M will not release too much info about it.
Has anyone used this and has anyone had similar issues?

Also I have found that this material has a coating which you cannot wipe or clean with anything.
I usually wipe a print at the start with a little isopropyl alcohol just to make sure I have not inadvertently touched it. If you do this with this material it wipes of the coating that the ink applies too.
I have been on an introductory course on this material and the punishment this material can take is unbelievable.
The only reason I have been using this material is here in the UK I can buy this for a little more than a IJ180 kit.

SC

heyskull

I cannot believe anyone has had no problems with this material.
I have also found the material to ink can "all I can call it is shear". It is as if the ink is having an issue with the coating on the material and if too much is reacting with it.

SC

redprint

I cannot believe anyone has had no problems with this material.
I have also found the material to ink can "all I can call it is shear". It is as if the ink is having an issue with the coating on the material and if too much is reacting with it.

SC
Hello!

I am having printing problems on sv480mc. It seems that the ink doesn’t cover the vinyl very well. I can see lots of small white spots. It is like the ink is running away. I also get the same results with 180cv3. I put 3M IJ35C in printer and use same profile and it prints great. Complete coverage with no banding in darker colors. I get banding in the dark colors on SV480mc and 180cv3. It has to be the vinyl surface that seems to not like the eco solvent ink. Using a Roland XR640 with eco sol max 2 inks. I printed vector graphics on the SV480mc and their is no banding and complete coverage. It seems to band using rasterized graphics. I have tried everything and have minimized it by slowing the printer way down. I print at 720x720 dpi using a Wasatch rip. Did you ever figure out how to not get banding? I am thinking the surface of the SV480mc doesn’t like the eco solvent max 2 inks. Since I have no problems with IJ35C, it has to be the coating causing the print issues. My next step is to re create the profile. But I am not sure it will matter unless the top coating is more receptive to the ink. I hate trial and error printing on media and you don’t know why it doesn’t lay down the ink, when the manufacturer knows but won’t say. You know 3m knows this doesn’t print well. 2 of us with basically same problem of not getting the ink to lay down correctly. We can’t be the only ones. I just need to know if they didn’t make it correctly for the eco solvent inks or if it was a batch problem. I bought two rolls of the SV480mc and both print the same way with banding in darker colors. There also seems to be areas that are lighter than others. Almost like the ink is running away because of something on the vinyl.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Maybe a mix up in packaging and your SV roll is actually an LX, which is for Latex or UV? It could happen.....I've opened boxes of 3m marked Gloss before only to find a Matte roll inside.

redprint

Maybe a mix up in packaging and your SV roll is actually an LX, which is for Latex or UV? It could happen.....I've opened boxes of 3m marked Gloss before only to find a Matte roll inside.
It is printed on the backing paper "SV480mc". Plus I bought another roll thinking the first one is bad and they both print the same. Is there anyone that has printed on this material using an XR640 Roland with Eco sol max 2 inks? Quite confusing not to be able to print without banding in the dark areas when IJ35C prints perfect with complete coverage and no banding.

HulkSmash

Just a heads up to everyone using 3M's new Micro comply. Stop using it. The Air Release is broken, and will fail.

HulkSmash

How have you determined the micro comply is broken and will fail?

I was originally a beta tester for the product. Their air release just doesn't work.. as simple as that. It will leave bubbles behind that cannot be pushed down, and if you get them down it will leave marks.

About 2 months ago they sent me 5 rolls of MC on accident - we printed 2 semis on them and they replaced all the rolls when the vinyl wouldn't stick.

so how do i know? First hand experience.

stick with original 480 or 180

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I was originally a beta tester for the product. Their air release just doesn't work.. as simple as that. It will leave bubbles behind that cannot be pushed down, and if you get them down it will leave marks.

About 2 months ago they sent me 5 rolls of MC on accident - we printed 2 semis on them and they replaced all the rolls when the vinyl wouldn't stick.

so how do i know? First hand experience.

stick with original 480 or 180
I haven't strayed from 180 for these reasons....hearing people having issues. 180 V3 hasn't let me down in the 12 years or so I've used it.

Dan360

We've been using the LX480mc pretty much since it came out without any issues. Done several wraps with it. Maybe the SV is different when it comes to the air release?

klingsdesigns

Hello!

I am having printing problems on sv480mc. It seems that the ink doesn’t cover the vinyl very well. I can see lots of small white spots. It is like the ink is running away. I also get the same results with 180cv3. I put 3M IJ35C in printer and use same profile and it prints great. Complete coverage with no banding in darker colors. I get banding in the dark colors on SV480mc and 180cv3. It has to be the vinyl surface that seems to not like the eco solvent ink. Using a Roland XR640 with eco sol max 2 inks. I printed vector graphics on the SV480mc and their is no banding and complete coverage. It seems to band using rasterized graphics. I have tried everything and have minimized it by slowing the printer way down. I print at 720x720 dpi using a Wasatch rip. Did you ever figure out how to not get banding? I am thinking the surface of the SV480mc doesn’t like the eco solvent max 2 inks. Since I have no problems with IJ35C, it has to be the coating causing the print issues. My next step is to re create the profile. But I am not sure it will matter unless the top coating is more receptive to the ink. I hate trial and error printing on media and you don’t know why it doesn’t lay down the ink, when the manufacturer knows but won’t say. You know 3m knows this doesn’t print well. 2 of us with basically same problem of not getting the ink to lay down correctly. We can’t be the only ones. I just need to know if they didn’t make it correctly for the eco solvent inks or if it was a batch problem. I bought two rolls of the SV480mc and both print the same way with banding in darker colors. There also seems to be areas that are lighter than others. Almost like the ink is running away because of something on the vinyl.

I had similar issues with the white dots showing up and banding all the time. I had it on 180cv3 and 180mc .. Switched to ij175 on my last roll and prints just like my 40c perfect. Really thinking about switching to something other than 3m, nothing but problems latley. Also had a bad roll of 40c fail on me on multiple vehicles in the last year.

heyskull

I haven't come across banding issues using this material or the air release not working.
But when laying a lot of darker colours (especially solid black) it is as if the materials coating cannot cope with so much ink.

In the UK the 480 and 180 materials are the only ones being sold and 380 is no longer available.
This is a problem as the 180 is not as conformable as what the 380 was.
It seems that the 480 range has not been tested on as wide a range of inks and the inks are failing in some circumstances.

SC

redprint

I haven't had any 3M vinyl fail with the mc at all. All the solid colors for wrapping use this adhesive. But the banding on 180CV3 and sv480mc using eco sol max 2 inks XR640 Roland printer. I don't get banding on IJ35 C, banner material, and gloss paper, only on the 3M 180CV3 and sv480mc. The coating has to be not very compatible with the eco sol max 2 inks. I called 3M about it, but they just act like they know nothing and everything should work. I know they know this is a problem with these inks, someone isn't fessing up. I just love how it installs, I hate to find something else, but if i can't get good prints, I will have to.

heyskull

reprint

I agree 3M know their is an issue with this material but are either not addressing it, or hope that we will all move to latex machines soon.
Personally I do not see an advatage to using this PVC free material as IJ 380 and IJ180 was working perfectly before.
Having to print on a coated media feels like I have gone back in time to using water based pigmented inks.

SC

Howarddigital

Greetings,
I am getting lighter strips/spots on a new roll of SV480mc. It appears to me that the roll which is stored horizontally - per 3M, may have slightly sagged in the middle over time - slightly stretching the material on the bottom side of the roll. The distance between the strips is the same as the radius of the roll. The date on the box is 05/19, Fellers shipped it to me 10/19, Just opened it up.

3M-SV480mc.jpg

Anyone else run into this issue?
What is 3M's problem with vertical storage?

danno

I would recommend acquiring another roll. Provide the picture to the sales representative. I tested the 480 film before it came to market. It was great. When 3M brought it to market, I ask them why they changed it. It has been very inconsistent since it came to market.

CanuckSigns

We had an issue with the 1 and only roll of 480 we used, after applying the vinyl to a sprinter, we found that the laminate comes off the printed vinyl extremely easily, taking 99% of the ink with it. 3M took samples and after chasing them for an answer were told it was "most likely a bad batch, let us know if it fails in the field and we will send you a replacement roll. No comment beyond that.

heyskull

That's faulty material as the marks are not uniform in position.
I have found that 3M have maybe altered this material at least 3 times now.
I also had a fault in my material on a 5 Metre longo print 3M wanted to replace only the 0.5 Metre that the fault appeared!
The 480 material has a coating on it, much like when water based machines were launched.You cannot clean it as it will remove the coating.
This is probably/definitley why you are getting delamination.

SC

Messiket

I have the Roland VG2-540 with solvent ink and I've finally gotten my banding(and grainy) solid color issues to completely disappear on 3M's SV480mc.
My Versaworks settings are as follows;
-3M SV480mc Media Profile
-3M SV 480mc Color Profile(TURNED OFF)
-12pass
-Error Diffusion
-Bi Linear (Interpolation)
-Uni-Direction
(2nd most important setting)
-Head Speed = 700mm/sec
-Strong Vacuum
-0 Dry Time
-Low Head Height
and lastly that seemed to be most important:
-Print Head Heat= 41 degrees Celsius
-Dryer Heat = 47 degrees Celsius.

It appears this material does not like high print head temps. My guess is, the high heat will melt away the layer that the solvent ink adheres to.
I've bolded all of the settings that made the most improvement from start to finish.

Really hope this helps someone, since I was unable to get help anywhere else, this was all trial and error, and its perfect now. :p

Last edited: