• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Printing metallic spot colors with Flexi and Roland

cwaldner

Hi, is it possible to print metallic spot colors with Flexi 11 without sending to Versaworks?
I would like to print my metallic spot colors directly from Flexi to my Roland VS printer. reason is, I cannot get the same (perfect) colors in Versaworks that I can get with my own custom profile that i created with Flexi color profiler.

whenever i enable spot colors in Flexi RIP and print dialog, color mapping will convert it to a none metallic color.

I would prefer to handle everything in Flexi, but if it is not possible, could someone please share how to match the colors from Flexi-Versaworks? I have selected the same color profiles, media, and settings and the colors aren't close.
Would anyone please give me suggestions on the best way to do this?
Thank you

Joe House

What model of printer do you have and what is set up in Flexi? If you have a model that Flexi supports metallic ink printing and you choose a color mode that includes metallic ink, then your customer spot color mapping is probably the best way to go. You could check the values that Roland gives for the colors that you like and set up your metallic spot colors this way:
upload_2017-9-28_13-55-0.png

cwaldner

Hi,
thank you for the reply.
I am using a VS-540 and no, it does not say MT on the printer name in flexi and metallic does not show as a color like yours does. I tried adding as a new setup again and I cannot find where I set the inkset that my printer is using.
in versa-works it was automatically recognized correctly with all 8 colors.

Joe House

It appears the Flexi doesn't support the Metallic ink mode on that printer:
upload_2017-9-28_16-10-54.png

As opposed to the XR, which has the option:
upload_2017-9-28_16-11-45.png

And this is with the latest version of Flexi, so you won't find it in an older version. So, for metallics, you're stuck using VersaWorks.
As for getting them to match what you get out of Flexi with custom profiles, it's going to be difficult without creating custom profiles for VersaWorks. Even then, the driver differences may cause slight variations in your color matching.

Joe

cwaldner

Ok thanks for clearing that up, even though the answer is not what i hoped for.
Matching colors is very hard because I create my own profiles in flexi and versaworks doesnt respect the ink loads, and on top of that, they seam to use different methods to calculate ink loads.