• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing Neon colors

BSL Graphix

I've noticed some companies offering printed neon colors for race car wraps. We currently are using Florescent vinyl to overlay on our prints when a customer wants neon colors but would love to get some insight on how to print neon instead. Is there new printer technology or is it possible to do this through ICC profiles and/or color management setup? I use Mutoh 1304 with Flexible 10.5. Any info appreciated.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I was under the impression it was capable with a Mutoh printer???

Nope. Even with good design practices and perfect color control you won't ever come close to a neon color with a Mutoh or any other CMYK based printer. You could technically achieve it if you had the capability to produce your own inks and then reprogram the machine to print it as a spot color but that is a lot harder than it sounds. As stated above, it was probably the Summa or some other type of spot color printing machine.

michael1zfan

I've noticed the same thing from one of the race car wrap designers I follow. Even has a Mutoh rep commenting on his posts asking about how he's doing it - https://www.facebook.com/267711131474/videos/10155205387011475/
Looks like he commented to one of his Instagram comments that he is using solvent based ink, but he's not spilling the beans otherwise - Allstar Graphix, LLC. on Instagram: “Neon Green Print is on point. [HASHTAG]#wrapfactory[/HASHTAG] ”

I'm interested to know what some others think about this as well!

KMC

Graphic Artist
i think you can get it with sublimation printers they have separate fluro ink

TDFcustomSL

I've noticed the same thing from one of the race car wrap designers I follow. Even has a Mutoh rep commenting on his posts asking about how he's doing it - Looks like he commented to one of his Instagram comments that he is using solvent based ink, but he's not spilling the beans otherwise - Allstar Graphix, LLC. on Instagram: “Neon Green Print is on point. [HASHTAG]#wrapfactory[/HASHTAG] ”

I'm interested to know what some others think about this as well!
That looks like the carriage on a Mutoh 1628X, which they use and have posted about....wonder if Mutoh has something in the works with fluorescent inks, especially after seeing the prismjet printer from SW...

heyskull

Fluorescent printed inks are not going to last to long on any printed surface.
They will have faded within 6 months.

SC

TDFcustomSL

That looks like the carriage on a Mutoh 1628X, which they use and have posted about....wonder if Mutoh has something in the works with fluorescent inks, especially after seeing the prismjet printer from SW...
doing a bit more research it looks like a person could buy fluorescent bulk inks from china. I am sure it would be possible then to fill your own cartridges for your printer BUT i would imagine it would take some software work and firmware work to make the printer print from the right channel to get the desired color. I suppose someone smarter than me could do it. I also believe now that it will only be a matter of time before Mutoh does offer a printer that uses CMYK inks along with Fluorescent cartridges in the other 4 channels (as that appears to be what allstar has done)

TDFcustomSL

Fluorescent printed inks are not going to last to long on any printed surface.
They will have faded within 6 months.

SC
either way, printing fluorescent on race car wraps would be a huge time saver with not having to cut, weed, tape, and overlay. 6 months is acceptable in that market.

astro8

Seiko Colorpainters can use pink and yellow fluoro inks. You can mix them with CMYK to get different tints and colours.

Herrington25

Does any one have experience with the colorpainter machines? I have an HP Latex unit now which ofcourse has pros and cons to it but we do a fair amount of work in the motorsports market and the ability to print neons would be huge for us.

AKwrapguy

Does any one have experience with the colorpainter machines? I have an HP Latex unit now which ofcourse has pros and cons to it but we do a fair amount of work in the motorsports market and the ability to print neons would be huge for us.

Does it have to be neon? Can it be 'almost' neon, cause the HP latex can hit some pretty neon like colors if you set up some color profiles correctly.