• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing on 3M High Intensity Reflective

dwarrior

Has anyone printed on this material on a JV33-160 before? We are trying to do this in house instead of having to send it to a screen printer. Anyone have any suggestions?

The material is 3M High Intensity Reflective (used in traffic signs).

2B

Cannot offer suggestions to the JV33-160, we use Roland for our printing. With that said we have to increase the temp, both on the print (108) and dryer (112) for the best images on reflective

dwarrior

2011-09-27 08.53.24.jpg Im having a problem with this occuring when i print on it. It looks like the color is running on the sides.

Also I am having a problem with two exact same sized signs printing next to each other and one coming out 1/8" smaller than the other.

SignaramaFL

You have to make sure that the material that you bought is printable, other than that you should be fine. We print on 3M 5100 all of the time.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Not really sure. I'd definitley make sure the head is set to thick(high) and probably run a quick dot position correct. Then start experimenting with temperatures and maybe a couple different profiles. I see the blue off to the sides but I'm unsure what might be causing that. I've printed on diamond grade reflective in the past on our old JV3 but I've not yet had a need to try it on our JV33 yet.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not sure, but that looks like static is pulling some of your over-spray out a little.

Also, the amount of reflective still visible under the blue looks like when lights are on it at night, there won't be any..... or very little difference from background to copy. These will be more like signs by day and reflective blotches at night.

Screen printing inks are far more opaque and might be the only way to do these. Our flatbed prints far heavier and opaque than our Roland and it does a decent job on that level of reflective. Regular reflective is no problem for either printer.

SqueeGee

How much do you need to print? We occasionally have to do it but print on clear and then apply that to the HI.

dwarrior

How can I get rid of the static? Also, these are going to be for Highway Signs. They have a bunch of rules on how the vinyl is suppose to be.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
If these are true traffic signs, (MUTCD) than the only thing currently out there to last a long time while allowing the whole sign to remain reflective is the 3M screen printing inks. Up to this point, I know of no digital print media what works with an MUTCD compliant reflective. Even with printing on clear and applying, these solutions are still problematic to the point where no one in that specialty has recommended it.

I have not called a 3M rep in a while so there might be one, that is who you should be calling.

rfulford

I have ran this material using true solvent inks on my xljet. Static was always a huge problem. We tried static tinsel, dryer sheets, everything we could think of. The static would build up so much that it would actually pull a perfect little jet patter off the heads every once in a while. Fortunately, it was usually in a white area and could be cleaned with a bit of solvent.

I have tried the same material in my epsons an have had even less luck. I think it takes a really aggressive ink to adhere to this material. Your best bet is to print on clear, laminate and mount I think.

SqueeGee

Just use the 3M vinyl for the HIP reflective, as long as you use the right stuff you will be fine.

Do you mean EC film? Those are only available in the same colors that the sheeting itself is available in so if he's trying to hit a different color(that's not available in film or sheeting) then this wouldn't work.

I was thinking about the spec issue. You're not going to meet specs with a wide format solvent print/ink unless your state is drastically different than mine.

Rick

Do you mean EC film? Those are only available in the same colors that the sheeting itself is available in so if he's trying to hit a different color(that's not available in film or sheeting) then this wouldn't work.

I was thinking about the spec issue. You're not going to meet specs with a wide format solvent print/ink unless your state is drastically different than mine.

Thats the issue I see, all states have to comply with MUTCD if they are funded by the fed. Some states have a stricter traffic code, even city have their own. Some smaller city wayfinding sign projects use various colors outside the translucent film choices 3M has, that is usually screen printed. every time I have seen a digital print, they failed or faded.

If you are not up on MUTCD than your bigger problem might be knowing it, than trying to find a way to safely print on digital media. There is a project out there that failed miserably because they tried a an unproven print process. If you are using 3M filMs, contact 3M, then get the specs in writing, then submit that to your client and cover your butt... IF this an actual traffic/MUTCD job.

First I have seen of the Durst machine, going to have to look into some samples.

Rick

StarSign

The print looks blue, blue EC film problem solved. We print on HIP once in a while with our Fuji flatbed, but for the most part we vinyl. check with the mnf of the reflective thay can match vinyl that will comply.

gnemmas

Will inkjet inks or UV inks, even with laminate, will last 5 years?

Traffic signs are mostly one color, I would think vinyl for short run, screen print for large run would be more appropriate.

We lost a good account printing reflective door decals with our solvent printer instead of farming out for screen printing, due to immature fading.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
True - for longest longevity and what is most often used is a cut vinyl film 3M makes specifically for applying on top of HIP film. It does give the best look and longevity. Look up 3M 1170 Electrocut..... I know Grimco carries it but only in 50yd rolls. Not sure if anyone sells it in smaller rolls and it's expensive.