• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing on Canvas

meb

We've had great results printing on vinyl with the SP540-V VersaCamm. Presently Contemplating a side business of printing on canvas. Has anyone experienced any adverse effects from printing on canvas with solvent based inks?

jonnyc

heat

Hi i also would like to print on canvas i have a fj 52 converted to solvent with front and back heaters, being new to all this can some please tell me if a need to use my heaters to print on canvas or are the heaters just for vinyl thanks for any reply s.

Last edited:

Creative Ink

Great!!!

That was one thing that i was regretting about the versacamm but you just made my day. Can anyone point me in the direction to learn about howto finish my canvas after printing? I've never framed for stretched canvas :D
Cilya

:U Rock:

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=stretching+a+canvas+print&aq=f

for stretching a canvas.

you really won't have any problems for canvas prints and solvent based inks as long as you don't sell it as an art reproduction (glicee print) or forget to clear coat it for cleaning longevity.

clear coating isn't even needed for 50% of solvent based canvas prints ... just make sure who ever uses it doesn't use a solvent based cleaner on it (windex or equivalents are fine ... might yellow the canvas ... but that is it.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
...you really won't have any problems for canvas prints and solvent based inks as long as you don't sell it as an art reproduction (glicee print) or forget to clear coat it for cleaning longevity...

First off it's 'giclee' not 'glicee'. Even at that it's merely a euphemistic transubstantiation for 'spray' that's affected by people who should know better that's meant to sound far more arty and obscure.

If it's a reproduction of some sort of art then inarguably it's an art reproduction. Sell it as whatever pleases you. The giclee snobs don't have any black helicopters with thuggish enforcers rappelling down ropes to grab you and clap you in irons.

Be sure and do the clear coat and, when you stretch the print, do it in on a blanket or you'll wear the ink off the edges and corners just moving it about while you stretch the thing. Even if it's clear coated. When you're done, put it in a plastic trash bag to protect it.

Colin

Presently Contemplating a side business of printing on canvas.

I got all excited about this about 10 months ago after getting my new SP540i, and bought a 54" roll of Neschen Monet canvas. The print results are great, but lamentably I've found that the "giclée" print gig is saturated (no pun intended). I've even seen the stuff literally given away (including shipping) on Groupon etc. I attempted to get the word out to my local art and photography communities, with no success. And now with a gloomy economic environment/forecast, it doesn't look too promising.

The giclée/canvas thing has been discussed here before. I'd suggest doing a search.

yeah, colin is correct.......people are giving away canvas prints nowadays! we do sell canvas prints every now and again, but we don't sell to the art community.....thats a different kettle of fish right there!

Bly

I just ran a roll of Fredrix matte canvas through our XJ640.
Worked great. I didn't clearcoat it though.
Is that really necessary with eco solvent ink?

Colin

I just ran a roll of Fredrix matte canvas through our XJ640.
Worked great. I didn't clearcoat it though.
Is that really necessary with eco solvent ink?

I recall being told that it doesn't, and that it is the aqueous printers that require coating.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I recall being told that it doesn't, and that it is the aqueous printers that require coating.

You were told wrong.

The ink, be it solvent, aqueous, or a finger dipped in mayonnaise [no, gag, Miracle Whip please], is only on a coating that's on the canvas. This coating has about zero abrasion resistance.

That's the reason you always, as in always, want to coat a print on canvas. Not to preserve the over all quality of the print but to prevent inadvertently grinding off the printable coating and hence the printing itself should the print rub up against something.

If you do a gallery wrap, which is almost always in this shop, the edges and particularly the corners of the print where it is wrapped around the stretchers are incredibly delicate and will completely wear away with the slightest contact with anything more abrasive than itself. Which is to say almost anything, especially a cutting mat.

Colin

Hmmm, I wonder if it is that the solvent print is more durable in terms of UV exposure.

Do you coat 'em after they're wrapped?