• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

printing on chrome vinyl? how

i have a customer that wants black text and logo printed on chrome stickers. can i just buy the oracal chrome vinyl and print on it? how will the heaters affect the thi vinyl?

zgraphics

I'm also new to printing, the best thing to do is try it. I don't know if they sell a chrome media for printing.

DRPSignsNGrafix

Carl is right. I have used it to do a trailer and it worked great. It's from R vinyl I know Garston's stocks it. Not sure about anyone else.

The Sign Dude

I have printed chrome and gold leaf before and they looked pretty good. Especially the gold leaf it made all the colors look candy.

GK

VinylFX from R-Tape, they have a bunch of printable metallics and other specialty inkjet films.

theskipman_98

this is a job for the EDGE!

or... print on clear, and apply to chrome.

Which chrome do/did you use? I tried Avery chrome thru our Edge II and it did not print well on it at all. (was trying to print GCS black on it) Or maybe have to change some setting(s)?

Thanks!

TheSnowman

The question is...do you have to cut this after you print it. If so, good luck gettin' the plotter eye to find the crop marks. I tried printing on something really shiny once, forget what it was...but the stupid plotter couldn't find the marks for the life of it.

hammered

Which chrome do/did you use? I tried Avery chrome thru our Edge II and it did not print well on it at all. (was trying to print GCS black on it) Or maybe have to change some setting(s)?

Thanks!

I print on Oracals chrome a lot with my Roland. Colors really look good.

iSign

Thanks!

I print Gerber chrome (silver medal) foils on black vinyl. Works great, and you end up with the properties of real vinyl, instead of the brittle, non-conforming realities of most polyester metallic films.

Just did a job yesterday... rolled out of the edge at 1:45, and the finished truck rolled out of my parking lot at 2:15.. 4 feet of material, 30 minutes... $200 bucks :biggrin:

theskipman_98

I print Gerber chrome (silver medal) foils on black vinyl. Works great, and you end up with the properties of real vinyl, instead of the brittle, non-conforming realities of most polyester metallic films.

geez I feel dumb... don't know what I was thinking....forgot about the medal foils, they do look very nice when finished.

Thanks!

graphixtogo

The question is...do you have to cut this after you print it. If so, good luck gettin' the plotter eye to find the crop marks. I tried printing on something really shiny once, forget what it was...but the stupid plotter couldn't find the marks for the life of it.

The trick I use on chrome and other really shiny material is to put a single layer piece of frosted Scotch tape over the registration marks. Works like a charm!

Also, for the Mutoh users, if you use the auto initialize for the media width, it can't see the chrome and will give you an error. Turn off the auto initialize and manually enter the media width (measured from the holes in the front heater on the right edge I believe). Then you can print away!

gtg

Graphics2u

I've printed on gold leaf several times for Fire Departments. I laminated it to be safe but the contour cutting is a little frustrating! My plotter couldn't find the registration box that Mutoh uses. Had to put white tape next to the lines so the laser would read it correctly.

rcboats1

We use the VinylFX from R-Tape all the time, great stuff.

The trick I use on chrome and other really shiny material is to put a single layer piece of frosted Scotch tape over the registration marks. Works like a charm!

Also, for the Mutoh users, if you use the auto initialize for the media width, it can't see the chrome and will give you an error. Turn off the auto initialize and manually enter the media width (measured from the holes in the front heater on the right edge I believe). Then you can print away!

gtg

We have no trouble with our Mutoh seeing the chrome, how ever, the tape trick for the ploter..... I just tried it and it works great, thanks for that.