• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Printing on chrome

MygdTeam

Has any one had any luck printing on Metallized Polyester Film by ScheinChrome? What is the best Chrome to print on? I have a Mutoh 1324.

Joe House

Solvent inks in general are designed to print on a vinyl product. Polyester is not vinyl so, unless it's coated to specifically work with solvent inks, you'll likely have print quality issues. If you can't find a chrome meant for your ink (I think R-tape may have one), then do what ikarasu suggested.

Good Luck

CCSG

Premium Subscriber
We tried it on our latex however it did not work so well. The print was fine but the chrome finished turned hazy. We ened up using our flatbed printer and it worked great.

Andy D

I have never tried this, do you have to contour cut the clear, or can you cover the whole thing without losing the chrome effect?
I would think the advantage to this would be to prevent scratching, you barely touch chrome and it scratches.

Goatshaver

I may have to try that clear option myself. Never tried that for metallic. I use R-tape metallics on my Roland but with solvent printers it recommended to leave 6mm unprinted area between the artwork and the cut.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
I have never tried this, do you have to contour cut the clear, or can you cover the whole thing without losing the chrome effect?
I would think the advantage to this would be to prevent scratching, you barely touch chrome and it scratches.

If you use optically clear, you can cover the whole thing and it still looks the same. We've done it for a couple of jobs in the past. Also reduces scratches as chrome vinyl marks so easily.