• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing on colored vinyl?

Double Diamond

I may need to be directed to an older discussion... seems like a not so unusual topic. I am a newer roland owner and have a small decal to make that would be awesome on silver metallic for the outline. I originally planned on printing the pms color red seperatly then applying over the silver but just thought of this most amazing website for the expert opinions of the seasoned digital printing experts for this question... Are there some simple settings I can make in adobe illistrator or the versaworks to print on colored vinyl, or is it not an option and I need to lay vinyl over vinyl?
Thank you very much for your time and advice.
Joe

J Hill Designs

colors will just come out a bit off...not as bad on silver vs say printing on orange but the printer will print on whatever you put in it IMO

also you may need to play around with the reg marks IE overlay reg marks printed on white or the eye may have a hard time reading them

Double Diamond

I just tried it and the silver shows through and the red is much too light. This is on oracal cast metallic silver. I am not familiar with changing profiles and if it is too involved I may opt to just print the red and stack it for this small job but would like to know how to make this adjustment without changing the default settings on the queue A. My first thought was to change the red to a darker red in ai then try it till it looks right, but I bet there's a better way.
Any suggestions?
Thanks, Joe

gaeabav

We print on Oracal's 651, 751, & Reflective all the time. The prints on silver look great. But before we started, we printed Roland's color charts onto the material first. Now we keep them as reference charts for spec'ing color and to show clients how the colors will look when printed on the metallic. It has saved us a lot of hair pulling when trying to get just the right color.

Sign Works

I print on various brands of colored vinyls & speciality films all the time on both my VersaCamm and my ColorCamm with very good results.

Sticky Signs

it's ok to stray away from the default settings in queue A. You have to experiment a little to see what your equipment and software are capable of.
Yes you can print on coloured vinyl. Adjusting your settings will help.

wwpro

Got in here right now to look for a thread about printing on metallic media with a Roland, I open the page and this thread is on top :clapping: