Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Printing on colored vinyl?

Discussion in 'Roland' started by Double Diamond, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Double Diamond

Double Diamond Member

Jul 11, 2009
    I may need to be directed to an older discussion... seems like a not so unusual topic. I am a newer roland owner and have a small decal to make that would be awesome on silver metallic for the outline. I originally planned on printing the pms color red seperatly then applying over the silver but just thought of this most amazing website for the expert opinions of the seasoned digital printing experts for this question... Are there some simple settings I can make in adobe illistrator or the versaworks to print on colored vinyl, or is it not an option and I need to lay vinyl over vinyl?
    Thank you very much for your time and advice.
    Joe

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    colors will just come out a bit off...not as bad on silver vs say printing on orange but the printer will print on whatever you put in it IMO

also you may need to play around with the reg marks IE overlay reg marks printed on white or the eye may have a hard time reading them

3. Coloradosigns

Coloradosigns Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    We print out brushed silver all the time. Comes out stunning

4. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    I know you have to turn the heat up on Oracal Metallics.
    Works great.

5. Double Diamond

Double Diamond Member

Jul 11, 2009
    I just tried it and the silver shows through and the red is much too light. This is on oracal cast metallic silver. I am not familiar with changing profiles and if it is too involved I may opt to just print the red and stack it for this small job but would like to know how to make this adjustment without changing the default settings on the queue A. My first thought was to change the red to a darker red in ai then try it till it looks right, but I bet there's a better way.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks, Joe

6. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    851 cast. Try printing on some clear lam and applying that over the silver....

7. gaeabav

gaeabav New Member

Oct 8, 2010
    Patterson, NY
    We print on Oracal's 651, 751, & Reflective all the time. The prints on silver look great. But before we started, we printed Roland's color charts onto the material first. Now we keep them as reference charts for spec'ing color and to show clients how the colors will look when printed on the metallic. It has saved us a lot of hair pulling when trying to get just the right color.

8. rushworks graphics

rushworks graphics Very Active Member

Jun 29, 2010
    or you could sub it out to someone with an edge.......

9. Sign Works

Sign Works Very Active Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    I print on various brands of colored vinyls & speciality films all the time on both my VersaCamm and my ColorCamm with very good results.

10. Sticky Signs

Sticky Signs Very Active Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Vancouver
    it's ok to stray away from the default settings in queue A. You have to experiment a little to see what your equipment and software are capable of.
    Yes you can print on coloured vinyl. Adjusting your settings will help.

11. wwpro

wwpro Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Got in here right now to look for a thread about printing on metallic media with a Roland, I open the page and this thread is on top :clapping: