• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing on FB700, customer is asking for VERY specific accuracy across a 200" print.

LeiftheLucky

I have a customer that needs a bw overlay for a solar panel that is 200" long and needs the print to stay with .002" throughout the print. We generally print graphics on this machine so this type of print/specification is a little out of our element. I would like to think that on Max DPI mode expecially, this should be 100% accurate across 200" but dont want to risk wating all the material to find out. I know that a lot is going to depend on the material we are using because it will stretch as well so we decided that our 10mm styrene would probably be the best option. Any Thoughts?

LarryB

Lol. I would pass. No way I would take that job. Even if material doesn't stretch how can you be sure your printer will be correct?

Team Valhalla

The first word that comes to mind is.... Wow!

The second is what LarryB said... Pass!

That tolerance is tighter than most of the automotive specs that we maintained while molding parts.... in a previous life.

I'm not a well educated sign materials guy, but I would bet that there's at least .250 worth of material stretch just rolling out the 16' of material. Then they're going to put it on a solar panel, subject it to that type of heat, and expect .002...?

I very well could be wrong, but I'm guessing not possible.

SP

Get Lucky

I am, was also a machinist. I would pass and say good luck. .002 is almost impossible to hold at that length. Thermal coefficients say it will never work unless you are using some stable stainless or other material like glass.

Turfa

Even with glass, on a panel that size the thermal expansion coefficient will lead to about a 0.002" variation with only a 2 degree change in temperature. Just the heat from the ink curing is likely to mess up the accuracy. Just don't think this level of accuracy is possible with this process.

LeiftheLucky

Sorry guys, was given wrong specs, only .02 tolerance threshold but still skeptical

Thanks for the input guys and you reiterated that at a .002 tolerance that was definitely a nogo, as much as I would like to perform miracles. But now its only .02 and they have agreed to pay for a 36" x 48 proof no matter how it turns out knowing the risks so I think we're gonna at least take it that far. That should at least cover the material cost for the job should it blow up in my face later. We shall see...

GVP

Run away....run away.... those are not signmaker's tolerances. Heck, I'd be astounded to hold 1/16" over 8ft.

Desert_Signs

thanks for the input guys and you reiterated that at a .002 tolerance that was definitely a nogo, as much as i would like to perform miracles. but now its only .02 and they have agreed to pay for a 36" x 48 proof no matter how it turns out knowing the risks so i think we're gonna at least take it that far. That should at least cover the material cost for the job should it blow up in my face later. We shall see...

only?