Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Printing on Oracal 970 RA

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by Richard G, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Richard G

Richard G Member

has anyone tried printing with any sucess on 970 RA Silver Grey metalic?

Tags:
  2. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Nope. But I assume it will be like printing on regular silver metallic. Meaning you will get a "candy" paint type effect since the inks are not fully opaque. Not sure if it will take ink that well since it is not intended for that. Plus you will have to laminate afterwards.

3. Coloradosigns

Coloradosigns Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    You shouldn't have any issue with it. I havn't done it on that specific material, but i have on others very similar. It's a bit thicker than their original wrap vinyl, so it should feed through nicely. If you don't do enough passes, the print might look a bit translucent.. keep that in mind.

4. mudmedia

mudmedia Active Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Colorado have you had a problem with 3751RA feeding through nicely through the printer?

Reason ask you mentioned that 970 is thicker I am not sure why but every roll grabs the head within the first 5-10 feet. I am not sure if it is because the sides have a little wrinkle in it or not but it doesn't take much for it to come up.

Never had any issues with 180 or even 3165RA just kind of curious if I am the only one with that issue of it buckling on the ends.

5. Coloradosigns

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    no, their color'd wrap vinyl is a bit thicker, not their white printable vinyl.

6. mudmedia

mudmedia Active Member

Aug 15, 2008
    yeah understood just trying to find out the reason for the head striking the 3751 on the ends of the rolls.

Not sure if it is because my suppliers damage them handling them or if its just a thin material with thin backing so it lifts easier.

7. Vital Designs

Vital Designs Vital Designs

May 29, 2005
    Dalls, Texas
    I have an issue sometimes with loading 3751 and on occasion have to use the sled attachment HP provides. The vinyl rolls up on the rollers and gets jammed. I sometimes can't get it through even with the blue lever up.

8. mudmedia

mudmedia Active Member

Aug 15, 2008
    glad I am not the only one. It doesnt seem to do it after 10 ft or so I tried comparing it to the 180 backing paper and it does seem a lot thinner so it probably doesnt take much to buckle the edges just in shipping.

9. Coloradosigns

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    no issue here with it.

10. Stealth Ryder

Stealth Ryder Very Active Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Texas
    970 is pre laminated right? Just asking....

11. JoshLoring

JoshLoring Very Active Member

End of the rolls are taped to the core unlike 3165ra. You gotta be there or the core lifts and could jam...

12. Richard G

Richard G Member

Thanks for the response all. I am going to talk with the customer on Monday and see if he wants to go with it.