• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing on Reflective

SALVATORE

Any suggestion on material Beside 3M Reflective material what others Reflective brand are good to print on it?? also do you Laminated Street Road Reflective signs ?? any help I will appreciated.!

Thanks!

bannertime

3M has the IJ series and the regular non IJ reflective. We've printed on both and they both were essentially the same. There's the Orcal 5600 and there is also a dirt cheap material that is really only good for temporary square cut decals. I'd stick with the 3M though. Price:Quality ratio has been the best.

Also there are a few topics about this already.

letterman7

I'm using the 3M as well. Tried some other, less expensive brands but unfortunately the 3M seems to work 'best'. Yes to anything printed you want to last - you need to laminate. Street signs are regulated unless they are in a private community. You need to follow strict MUTCD guidelines... most of us don't have printers that will handlw that.

SALVATORE

Thank for you input! so do you guys Laminated?? I know is best to do so just wandering >>>> Thanks!

DJr

Oracal 5600 RA prints great and can be bought in 10yd increments to save $$ if not being used all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thezigman

Sign maker near Chicago
I use Oracal 5650RA for emergency vehicles. It prints well, and is pretty affordable and is easy to apply.
I always laminate anything printed on reflective.
Also Always apply reflective dry.

Gary Wiant

First off I see your in Pa if you are doing street signs you need to obtain a PDT# (PENNSYLVANIA DEPT of TRANSPORTATION) this is absolutely required for all state roads and by most townships and cities. When you sign up you have to get approval based on your equipment, I seriously doubt an eco solvent will be on their list. And substraights and vinyls are HIGHLY regulated.

On a side note, I cannot figure out why people try to find cheaper alternatives or shortcuts for outdoor products. You aren't the one paying for the material your customer is & I'd bet if you asked them if they want their perminant sign to be constructed with the best product that will definately last the longest or a cheaper product that will fail years prior for a couple dollars less, I'd be shocked if they would pick the cheaper.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
First off I see your in Pa if you are doing street signs you need to obtain a PDT# (PENNSYLVANIA DEPT of TRANSPORTATION) this is absolutely required for all state roads and by most townships and cities. When you sign up you have to get approval based on your equipment, I seriously doubt an eco solvent will be on their list. And substraights and vinyls are HIGHLY regulated.

On a side note, I cannot figure out why people try to find cheaper alternatives or shortcuts for outdoor products. You aren't the one paying for the material your customer is & I'd bet if you asked them if they want their perminant sign to be constructed with the best product that will definately last the longest or a cheaper product that will fail years prior for a couple dollars less, I'd be shocked if they would pick the cheaper.

Very well, said. This is, indeed, the mindset of so many people in business....... and not just the sign industry.

Patentagosse

I always laught when I read 5650RA and affordable in the same sentence... the price of the full roll is like a cashdown on a house
:dog42:

I use Oracal for my reflective prints but cannot afford the 5650RA, nor my customers. 5400 or 5600 laminated with 290G. Last forever. Roland VS540 with original EcoSol MAX.

thezigman

Sign maker near Chicago
I always laught when I read 5650RA and affordable in the same sentence... the price of the full roll is like a cashdown on a house
:dog42:

I use Oracal for my reflective prints but cannot afford the 5650RA, nor my customers. 5400 or 5600 laminated with 290G. Last forever. Roland VS540 with original EcoSol MAX.

I never buy full rolls. Usually 30" x 10 yds..

Patentagosse

I never buy full rolls. Usually 30" x 10 yds..

I thought you were talking 'bout a full 54" or 60"... I know some shops have customers for that, not me in my rural spot (...) 5600 is only used for vehicles where we met some rivets, tight curves and other convex-concave spots. 5400 is my general plot / print reflective material for everyday signage

Robert Gruner

Any suggestion on material Beside 3M Reflective material what others Reflective brand are good to print on it?? also do you Laminated Street Road Reflective signs ?? any help I will appreciated.!

Thanks!
Salvatore:
The more info the better. You made reference to 3M Reflective material. There are many types of Reflective materials. In the Traffic Sign industry, there are applications for Grade/Class 1 - Engineering Reflective film, Grade/Class 2 - High Intensity/Prismatic film, and Grade/Class 3 - Diamond Grade film. Most City/County/State/Federal Traffic Signs are either Screen Printed on Grade 2 film. The harsh screen print inks used will last 7-10 years outdoors without laminate. Some City/County/Stare DOT Sign Shops cut black cast adhesive backed vinyl and apply to Grade 2 film. These signs are rated to last 7 to 10 years outdoors without laminate as well. Eco or Mild solvent ink digital printers along with Latex ink printers are quite capable of printing on the Grade 2 film; however, these digital inks are only rated to last outdoors for three (3) years with out laminate and five (5) years with laminate. Most City/County/and States mandate 7 to 10 year outdoor warranty due to the high cost of the reflective film.

Ink technology is constantly changing. Avery recently introduced their TraffiJet System which consists of a Mutoh digital ink printer using Avery branded eco/mild solvent inks which are printed on Avery prismatic film and laminated with Avery clear laminate. The end product is warranted by Avery for 10 years.

As Gary pointed out, every State has their own specific regulations for making Traffic Signs. The same goes for many Cities and Counties. Double check with your client for their specific regulations.