• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing pink Pantone 212 c for vehicle wrap dull colors

iCantFeelMyLegs

hp latex 260
onyx production house
photoshop and illustrator
ij-180 laminate 8518

I can't hit pantone 212 c for a wrap.
tried a number of profiles, color modes, outputs, high ink levels, and no luck.

tried spot color channels in photoshop, spot colors in illustrator, made own color combinations. same result, a dull pink or too much magenta or purple.

any tips appreciated.

thanks...

iCantFeelMyLegs

Print swatches from Onyx and pick the closest match.

thanks for the response. i'm used to versaworks and new to onyx. whats the best way of doing this?
i clicked on the swatch books icon and entered 212 pc. it printed all the swatches. they all look the same. dull.

Bly

Sounds like a profile issue. Are you using custom profiles?
The latex printers have a decent gamut and the Onyx spot color lookup table usually gets pretty close.

iCantFeelMyLegs

Sounds like a profile issue. Are you using custom profiles?
The latex printers have a decent gamut and the Onyx spot color lookup table usually gets pretty close.

using 3m's 180 profile.
tried 12 and 16 pass, with and without high ink levels.
adobe1998 and images embedded profile. tiffs and pdfs. i just can't get that vibrancy in 212. i can get pretty close to the 213 cause it's got the more magenta, fuscia color in it. 212 comes out darker, dull.

i have noticed onyx seems to like changing rgb to cmyk. so their probably all printing in cmyk.

AF

Use 10 pass on 180c and then debug from there. Check the rendering intents in the profile too. Do not use the high ink option.

hp latex 260
onyx production house
photoshop and illustrator
ij-180 laminate 8518

I can't hit pantone 212 c for a wrap.
tried a number of profiles, color modes, outputs, high ink levels, and no luck.

tried spot color channels in photoshop, spot colors in illustrator, made own color combinations. same result, a dull pink or too much magenta or purple.

any tips appreciated.

thanks...

First, to get the best possible results in reproducing Pantone colors on a digital printer, you need to:

1. Be working with Vector data (no TIF or JPG), typically EPS or PDF
2. Design in an application that makes Pantone palette, such as Illustrator, Corel, or Flexi.
3. In the ONYX RIP, be sure to use a Quickset that enables 'Spot Color Replacement Tables'

It is also possible to accurately predict the ability to simulate Pantone (or any spot color), using the Media Manager's reports and tools. I have attached a screenshot of this on the Latex 360 on a gloss calendared vinyl.

By the way, dE2000 of 4.5 is a pretty good, though not perfect match.

Attachments

• Gamut Report.JPG
    Gamut Report.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 286

iCantFeelMyLegs

First, to get the best possible results in reproducing Pantone colors on a digital printer, you need to:

1. Be working with Vector data (no TIF or JPG), typically EPS or PDF
2. Design in an application that makes Pantone palette, such as Illustrator, Corel, or Flexi.
3. In the ONYX RIP, be sure to use a Quickset that enables 'Spot Color Replacement Tables'

It is also possible to accurately predict the ability to simulate Pantone (or any spot color), using the Media Manager's reports and tools. I have attached a screenshot of this on the Latex 360 on a gloss calendared vinyl.

By the way, dE2000 of 4.5 is a pretty good, though not perfect match.

Thanks for the response. I have done 1-3 in my debugging. i have not used the media manager reports yet. i'm running them now. i'm assuming the higher the number the better? i research that. i'm starting to think its not possible to hit it.

edit- ok the lower the better. im liking this tool thx! lol. seems like HP profiles are giving lower scores than 3m. with hp air release cast im getting 3.4

Thanks for the response. I have done 1-3 in my debugging. i have not used the media manager reports yet. i'm running them now. i'm assuming the higher the number the better? i research that. i'm starting to think its not possible to hit it.

edit- ok the lower the better. im liking this tool thx! lol. seems like HP profiles are giving lower scores than 3m. with hp air release cast im getting 3.4

Delta E represents the physical distance between two colors in the LAB color model. The smaller the number, the closer the match.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_difference

iCantFeelMyLegs

thank you for the information. I guess i'm going to have to make a judgement call on whether to print this wrap without an exact color match. that sucks... 3.4 is still rated as noticeable.

Just to let others know of what I did.
I didn't even use spot colors in onyx or illustrator. in photoshop i made the pantone 212, without using the new spot color channel method, and exported as a tiff.
in onyx used hp air release cast. 10 pass
under color management i changed the profile rendering intent to saturation. that got me really close. the laminate changes it of course but its pretty vibrant outside.

i'm sure i could have done this with spot colors in onyx, but this looks good so i'm rolling with it.

dypinc

thanks for the response. i'm used to versaworks and new to onyx. whats the best way of doing this?
i clicked on the swatch books icon and entered 212 pc. it printed all the swatches. they all look the same. dull.

Pantone 212 PC is not a spot color, it is CMYK/process color and Onyx I sure does not have a table for that.

Use Pantone 212 C which is a spot color and Onyx has a table for that.

But, your linearization and profiles must be correct, especially the linearization and ink-limiting part. This would be a situation where you would also want the light ink replacement to be a little higher.

PS: Disregard the line above. Some reason I thought you were using the L260, but I see your using the L360 where you have very little control over ink lay-down and no control of the light inks. So now this is what I do on the L360 is use Backlit SAV 12 pass 200% to 150% ink density depending on what you media will take. Then when you create your profile set your black curves to start black at around 20%. This will help cut down the dullness, And, yes use a color rendering intend of Saturation or Relative Colorimetric.