• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing problem with VJ 1204

Whenever I print something it starts out good but then it starts to shadow around everything else. I cleaned the head really good thinking that would solve my problem but that didn't seem to help any. Also, whenever I manually fed the media through there is a thumping noise, I'm not sure if these problems are related but any help will be appreciated. Ill attach pics of what I'm trying to print out and what actually prints out for comparison.

Attachments

• hbfm1stprint.jpg
    hbfm1stprint.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 209
  • hbfmflexipic.jpg
    hbfmflexipic.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 144
  • hbfmfaults3.jpg
    hbfmfaults3.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 158

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The thumping noise is a tell tail sign that the PF encoder is dirty or damaged. Take the left side cover off the machine and you will see a clear disc that is read by a U shaped sensor. Clean the disc gently with rubbing alcohol and a lint free cloth. Take a close look at the area of the disc that is read by the sensor. If there is damage or something that won't be cleaned off, you will need to replace the disc.

heyskull

Also check the disk is not warped.
As the jumping/thudding can be the disk touching the sensor eye.
I know their was an encoder spacer update on the 1604s but I don't know if it was an issue on the 1204.

SC

Well I opened the side panel and I cleaned the encoder strip and it doesn't seem warped or damaged but I don't know what a brand new one looks like. I also watched the encoder disk spin around as it was printing and it looks like it skips every time it gets to certain spot. Is there anything else that could be causing this problem?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I am 100% certain it is the PF encoder. Every time I have seen the symptoms you have described it has been the encoder. You can double check that the belt running from the motor to the encoder is not missing any teeth or is loose but other than that, this is a pretty straight forward issue.