Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Printing seems Grainy

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by ml4cs, Aug 6, 2020.

1. ml4cs

ml4cs New Member

Aug 1, 2020
    Las Vegas NV
    New to large format/solvent printing. I have a Roland SP540i running Liquecolor inks in a 440ml cartridge printing on Oracal 3651 gloss

I read some posts and adjusted print temp to 108 and dry temp to 110

Lighter colors seem to come out grainy, darker seem ok if I print at high quality, also used a few different color profiles in versaworks and kept getting better

My question is will I ever be able to get rid of the grain with Gloss? or would I have to go Matte with Lamination?

Would settings, calibration, ink or media make any difference

Thanks!

Tags:
  2. Jim Hancock

Jim Hancock Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Reprint the file in Uni-Direction. If it looks better, you need to do the bidirectional adjustment. See attached. Use the detailed mode.

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    It depends what you mean by grainy, some profiles are set up for the black to be a 100%K instead of a combination
    of CMYK, that gives a printed faux metallic look.
    It also depends on what output resolution your profiles are set at; 540 x 720 -720 x 720 - 720 x 1440 -ect.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Jim Hancock

Jim Hancock Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Please post a clear closeup pic, especially if you can print some small text.

5. greysquirrel

greysquirrel Active Member

Aug 13, 2015
    West Berlin, NJ
    Would settings, calibration, ink or media make any difference.....yes, yes, yes and yes...being new to printing, do yourself a favor and go back to OEM inks

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. ml4cs

ml4cs New Member

Aug 1, 2020
    Las Vegas NV
    Ran through a detailed bi directional adjustment.

now printing at high quality seems to get rid of the grainy look. I’ll load a couple pictures

7. ml4cs

ml4cs New Member

Aug 1, 2020
    Las Vegas NV

Attached Files: