• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing UV ink on Plexiglass

CarolinaCabinet

So, for the first time, I am printing on clear plexi with my VUTEk QS2000... the prints look phenomenal but when I go back to cut the boards down, the ink is chipping really bad around the edges, as though it wasn't cured enough, but I'm really curing these things. If anyone has done UV of plexi, I'd love to hear your method, especially if it was a VUTEk and you could tell me your actual cure settings. Thanks.

jdigital

We are using an Inca Spyder. We have our plexi precut and then print on them. We also spray our plexi/acrylic with a clear matte Matthews paint. It helps adheres better with the clear overspray.

CarolinaCabinet

hmmm, cool idea, does it effect the print clarity at all to be printed onto that paint? and about what does it do to your per sq. foot price to add Matthews Paint?

SebastienL

Cut before print. Or print on clear self adhesive and laminate onto the clear plexi. We,ve never done it with a clear "primer" as jdigital says, butit sounds like it might work.

Good luck:thumb:

rockz12

Specializing in the strange and unusual
You have to print to polycarb.. It is more expensive but allows the inks to bite into it better. I would never print direct to acrylic.

CarolinaCabinet

wow, i've also gotten PM's about never use acrylic, only use polycarb... thats so odd, VUTEk themselves claim plexi is fine and never mention using poly... I will definately try that next... thanks for the advice, and if anyone has any other suggestions for me that would be very welcome.

jdigital

Carolina,

the clarity depends on what you are printing. Since most UV printers output a "matte" color, the clear paint "primer" doesn't seem to affect it. If you have a full color print it works fine, but if you don't have white ink then the clear primer would be seen through the non printed areas. I'm not sure on the pricing.

jdigital

I have found that TriangleInx make 3 types of adhesion promoters for digital printers. We have had success with BondAidI for glass. They also make an application for prints that you apply after the print is finished. Check the website for more info.

jdigital

You're welcome. Let me know the outcome. If you come up with any other ideas I would like to know what they are.

DoubleDown

We've done hundreds of prints on plexi, glass, etc and you HAVE to cut it down before printing. You will need an adhesive bonding agent and triangle does make some good ones, but other than that clean it really, really well and of course make sure you let it outgas without the protective paper on for a day.

Good luck and remember to always put transfer tape over the piece first as a test print before printing to it finally...cleaning it off is a b*tch.

HaroldDesign

I screened a clear-coat flood over petg, acrylic and plexi before printing on a Vutek 200/600 and it worked great. Double strike with high lamps and you'll love the results.

benjercorp

Well I used to have a Dilli Neo Titan as my toy and to print in acrylic I used a coat from sericol and also print in glass,tile wood and worked fine don't abuse of UV light since it can leave a mark ...