• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Prints are shorter in height than artboard height.

PointED

Hi everyone, I am having issues with my prints. I have noticed artwork coming off the printer are an eighth shorter than the art board height. Feed adjustments have been made and printer is level. I am printing on an EPSON Surecolor S50675 using Onyx as the RIP software. If anyone has any thoughts or ideas or going through the same issues and can shine some light I'd greatly appreciate it!

TXFB.INS

what type of file are you using to print? PDF is notorious for having hidden layers which will be counted when you have the design selected but not be printed.
are you changing the size in the RIP? do have lock ratio on?

There are several reasons for this to happen

Andy D

So the size is correct in Onyx but the actual print is short? Are you printing on a solvent printer?
How large are your prints?
When you make a solvent print, especially when it has a dark background, it can stretch or shrink...

I can tell you back when we used to do two large prints to register
together for backlit prints, the prints would end up being 1/4" - 1/2" different
lengths..and these were two prints from the same file, printed one after the other,
and laminated at the same time.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Your printer and rip should be able to run an output size compensation test (FlexiSign has it for sure), where you measure what it prints, input the sizes and it calculates the difference and once you set the new setting, all your prints should be correct. We had this issue on banners, where a 12' banner was nearly an inch short. Ran the optimization and no problems.

PointED

what type of file are you using to print? PDF is notorious for having hidden layers which will be counted when you have the design selected but not be printed.
are you changing the size in the RIP? do have lock ratio on?

There are several reasons for this to happen

Hi TXBF, it is a PDF but the artwork itself is one layer with vector art. Not raster. And the artwork being sent is to size. The ratio lock is on but I am not making any adjustments or changes on the Onyx. Just loading it and sending straight to print.

PointED

So the size is correct in Onyx but the actual print is short? Are you printing on a solvent printer?
How large are your prints?
When you make a solvent print, especially when it has a dark background, it can stretch or shrink...

I can tell you back when we used to do two large prints to register
together for backlit prints, the prints would end up being 1/4" - 1/2" different
lengths..and these were two prints from the same file, printed one after the other,
and laminated at the same time.

The original artwork was multi colored raster artwork. It was a wall graphic and when we went to apply it, there were issues with the over-lapping because the heights were off. Running tests,.. we've created a simple one layer file in Illustrator. It is simply a vector line going vertical with size indications (like a ruler). Feed calibrations have been made and we used the scale adjust tool in Onyx to no avail...